1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bomar Booted

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by BIC, Aug 2, 2006.

1. BIC

BIC New Member

Sad day for OU Sooner fans, Brett Bomar has been dismissed from the team.

2. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

3. Convicted by the Spirit

its not a sad day if your from any big 12 Texas school or from OSU. This year the big 12 is any ones to take.

4. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

RE:Big Twelve

CS (Lewis? :smilewinkgrin: )

OSU needs to stick to basketball and engineering. While OU certainly takes it on the chin in loosing Bomar and their projected starting right tackle Quinn. This loss does not equate to a losing season. I am not a big OU fan though having Jeff Caple on board draws me into their sphere in basketball, none-the-less I think we might see OU receiving an unexpected perk for their stand on integrity. Stoops has seemed to me to be very straight forward, humble and set on running an ethical program (well see). They have another previously redshirted freshman cannot think of his name right now (Joey Halzle) plus Paul Thompson who started game #1 last year. Their strength should be their defense and it will be needed and tested. I still give the Big 12 South to OU by default if for no other reason.

Coming back to OSU Reid should be better this year and with the addition of a years maturity by the line in their new system (spread and charge) should make fewer mistakes and throw the ball well. Hamilton at r/b and Crosslin at the bullback position (5'11" 240) they should get into the end zone quite often add to these men Bowman and Woods, receivers who should make it to pro try outs and their offence has potential. But defensively with the exception of Burton a freshman DL, they are still in North Park while the game is being played in South park. Consequently they will be more exciting this year but probably only a 5 or 6 win season which is still an improvement over 4-7 over all and 7-1 in conference last year.

Are you and OSU fan? I am about 45 minutes away from Stillwater and am planning on catching a few of their BB games this year under Shawn Sutton. One of the young men I work with has no interest in OSU but his sister gets a couple of tickets for each home game he has told me I am welcome to the tickets to see a few games (other than the Bedlam series, RATS).

#4 thjplgvp, Aug 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2006
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So much for OU's national championship hopes for this coming season.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Yep right along with Arkansas :)

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arkansas never had any national championship hopes for this coming season. We are simply hoping for an 8-4 record and a decent bowl game, such as the Cotton Bowl.

But right now we Hog fans and other Arkansans are dealing with holding the funeral tomorrow of our long time play-by-play announcer, Paul Eells, who died in a tragic car accident on Monday night that also claimed the life of a fellow Arkansan. I will be wearing a Razorback polo shirt(Fridays are business casual dress) to work tomorrow and flying a Razorback flag on my car in honor of Mr. Eells.

He, as well as the woman killed, will be missed. :tear:

#7 KenH, Aug 3, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I live close to where Bomar went to High school, his dad was his hs coach. I saw Bomar play several games in high school - he was a talent and as fast as any high school qb I have ever seen, but his teams were not playoff teams, couldnt even win their district when he was there. In fact he could not beat his cross town rival teams! I know many people who are or were friends of the Bomars - to a man, they are neither suprised nor are they upset. Dad and son are both viewed as arrogant, and the general view is that with Bomar was having a few other problems - drunk driving, caught drinking etc that stoops was looking for a way to get him out of there.

On the other hand, this is probably Adrian Peterson's last year at OU - especially if he stays healthy. He will be a high draft pick - so stoop's window of opportunity to win the natl championship was probably this year until having to rebuild again. This Texas A&M Aggie fan is not upset!

9. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

10. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Anyone follow the link I pasted above - that picture is classic!

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I tried to, but it said I did not have access to that area as I was not a member.

12. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Ditto...

10 characters

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is real example of rampant homerism in sports. Reading sports message boards [espn.com, et al] Oklahoma fans are downplaying the effects of losing their starting QB and rallying around Paul Thompson as giving them as good a chance, while for months they have been saying Texas has no chance against them because they lost V.Young.

Perhaps to keep better tabs on what their players are doing, they need a new song; how about "Bomar Sonar"?

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

It is a sad day for everyone when a few cheat. Whether they get caught or not, cheating is a sad day for everyone.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Ditto...again

Can you give us a working link?

17. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I have tried, but to no avail - sorry - the picture is Bomar being sacked by a Texas lineman last year and dollars are flying all over the place - much funnier when you see it! If anyone can tell me how to post a picture I will do it as i have it saved in my pictures.

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be surprised if either Thompson or Halzle plays well. There isn't as much of a drop off from Bomar to them as from V Young to two freshmen.

In fact (and this is coming from someone who doesn't like OU and especially Stoops), this could make them a better team.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They [OU fans] were 'singing his praises' all these months until he was kicked off, downplaying his underage drinking by saying "have you ever known a college kid who didn't?" and such stuff. Now they sing the praises of the guy they all booed in last year's season opener, a home loss to TCU (a team I usually root for, as if that matters). No, I didn't think there was/is a great difference in abilities of Bomar and Thompson; I'd say Bomar has more talent, but Thompson's better likability and his propensity to run away from outside linebackers may beat Bomar's better passing, but with desire to ram into those guys who outweigh him by 30-40 pounds. It's just the fan attitudes... last year they yelled "We want Bomar!" and they'd been saying for 7-8 months they are national championship contenders with an 'experienced' and talented QB; now they are contenders because the guy who was replaced after one game is now better :laugh: .

#19 Alcott, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2006