1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bond Servant, Child or Both?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by th1bill, Dec 28, 2010.

?

Which are you?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2011.
  1. Bond Servant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Child of God

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

100.0%
  1. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Co 7:20 Let each man abide in that calling wherein he was called.

1Co 7:21 Wast thou called being a bondservant? Care not for it: nay, even if thou canst become free, use it rather.

1Co 7:22 For he that was called in the Lord being a bondservant, is the Lord's freedman: likewise he that was called being free, is Christ's bondservant.

1Co 7:23 Ye were bought with a price; become not bondservants of men.

1Co 7:24 Brethren, let each man, wherein he was called, therein abide with God.

Gal 4:4 but when the fulness of the time came, God sent forth his Son, born of a woman, born under the law,

Gal 4:5 that he might redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

Gal 4:6 And because ye are sons, God sent forth the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Gal 4:7 So that thou art no longer a bondservant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God. (ASV)

I have, for some time now, signed my letters and my email with the note, Bond Servant and I teach that we, Christians have been purchased with the price of Christ's blood on the cross and have often been astonished at the attitude of a large number of folks in the Christian community. I am often informed that people will accept that they are the child of God but never His slave! In response to these folks I give them the above scriptures and the note that if they will just study the Epistles of Paul that they will notice that he, like myself and many others, was proud to be purchased and bound to Christ.

Jesus taught us that His yoke was easy.

Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

When my mother married my dad after my father had denied me I accepted the unearned love and committed myself to him, just as if he were my birth parent. As my dad there were certain things, that at the age of ten, I was expected to do. I took out the trash, set the can on the curb on trash day and a few other small items for which I received 25 cents every week that I performed my duties. I was paid for my service in the performance of these tasks.

And then here were things like cleaning his car, for which I was not responsible and did not receive a wage. My dad was in the Air Force and was a Veteran of the Seventh Cavalry in the Pacific Campaign of WW II. I felt honored to be able to prepare his car so that when he drove through the gate at the base, he was sharp and clean, just like a good soldier should look. I was his adopted son, he had no other, and it was more than a duty to be able to serve him... I served because when no man loved me, he did.

In like manor, I returned from my service in Vietnam was so disliked that my best friends, the men that I had grown up with, the same men that threw me a send off party, were slow to just go with me to have a beer with me at my expense. Tormented, for twenty years I did my best to prove myself just as evil as my peers, singing, drinking and fornicating in the Juke Joints of SE Texas. I had been spoken to by God in November of "66 and for all of this time, 23 years, I fought with the Holy Spirit. Being a Fool's Folly, I finally yielded and submitted to His call on my life, I became a son of God but I also became His bond servant, just as I had with my dad.

I'm not about to tell anyone that he or she is or isn't saved but I do call everyone to ask themselves this question after reading their Bible, "If I am to good to serve my Father, am I really His?”

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Great post, much appreciated brother.

I never got to know, as you were lucky to know, what it is to have a dad. My brother and I were dropped off at a Volunteers of America when we were younger, I was 16. I lied about my age and got a job and fought a lot for my own life against grown, sin-hardened, alcohol-hardened men full of hatred, in there, and on the streets. That's when I knew God began to work in me, and that He was somehow always there watching over me, Psalm 27:10. When I was about maybe 7-8 a missionary woman came to our church, a Methodist church, and I remember she gathered a bunch of us kids quietly in the basement, and told us the Gospel, and asked if we believed, it was as vividly true to me in a way I cannot express. Anyhow, I did and so did my brother believe, and we prayed asking forgiveness, confessing salvation. I remember my brother and I walking up the steps of our apartment building on our way home, and we both said " I feel like I am floating in the air!" She led us in this secretly, now looking back I know why. In 1983 I went to church to make sure of this, being baptized and professing Christ as Lord. We then began to be used of God.

Today we have a serious issue with Lordship in our churches. But in reality having a problem with Christianity itself :)

If todays believers were given a check off sheet of what they want and would give as a Christian, it would go something like this:

YES for heaven and eternal life.

NO (more like naw) for: prayer, witnessing, bible reading/study, giving, sacrifice, prayer meetings, Sunday School, being a disciple, faithfulness to church, being named a servant, desire for God, practice of personal holiness (in a poll I posted here, this was clearly seen, being ascribed as monastic to be holy, i.e. take it to the extreme so as not to be responsible) teaching our children, learning and practicing biblical separation, selfless living (denying ourselves our liberties for Him), bible knowledge, concern for the lost &c.

Now some would disagree with this, although this is how they live. So in essence the "list" is already their "living epistle of shame," although, in word only, they would deny it to be true.

#2 preacher4truth, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
  3. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your testimony. I find myself to be hard put to understand these folks, most of them, very kind hearted, that attend Service every week and yet fail to make the commitment. When I was playing and singing County Music and the Blues I worked very hard to encourage people to sin and enjoy themselves (eat, drink, have sex and be merry, tomorrow we die) and now that I know true joy and happiness I cannot imagine not working and being committed to God in an even stronger manor. All the time I spent on and off stage I sought happiness and now that I have it I want it for everyone.

I'm sorry to hear of your childhood but it is much more common than society is willing to admit. My earliest memory of my Birth Father is him pounding my Mother at the end of a dark hall and I recall asking my teenage brother to kill him to stop it. My mother and father were both drunk sex addicts. And as cruel as life can be we must come to realize that it just an obstacle that we can overcome.

God bless and keep the faith, brother!

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

You are welcome brother. I am glad my testimony blessed you. I would not change one thing that has happened to me. God knew all these things would happen, yet, He still loves me. I may struggle with knowing what having a real Father is, but He, the greatest ever, is my Heavenly Father.

God bless you.

:thumbs: