1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book entiled "The Pressures Off"

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by drfuss, Jan 30, 2006.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Has anyone read the book "The Pressures Off" by Larry Crabb and pulished by WaterBrook Press?

Amoug other things, it address how we can put pressre on ourselves by thinking we worship God by works and performance rather than just worshiping and glorifying Him in a personal relationship. I found this book both soul searching and uplifting.

Too many times our churches put to much pressure on us to perform; and neglect the need to just worship and glorify God.

Any Comments?

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't read the book, but:

James 2:20
    "But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?"

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

drfuss,

I think there's far too many places already that ignore the need for a Christian to do his duty towards Christ, which is to be a faithful servant.

The relationship ought not be ignored of course, but then in my experience the teaching has always been that we have a relationship with Christ AND we do those good works. If we are unwilling to work and do those things Christ commands, than we must not have much of a relationship with Him.....

Doesn't the Bible say that those who love Him obey Him?

Perhaps Im reading too much into what you wrote....but "just" worship God? That makes it sound like we are supposed to sort of just sit back and relax and be satisfied with an inner knowledge of God.

And we do not glorify God if we are not working for Him in some way.

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Debby in Philly wriets:
    "But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?"

The book has nothing to do with faith and works. The main message is the problem of concentrating on our service to the Lord, while neglecting to worship and glorify Him. He favorably quotes John Piper as well as others. He is addressing christians. I recommend it for mature christians.

5. drfuss

drfuss New Member

bapmom wrote:
    Perhaps Im reading too much into what you wrote....but "just" worship God? That makes it sound like we are supposed to sort of just sit back and relax and be satisfied with an inner knowledge of God.

It has been a while since I read the book. Perhaps my posts aren't very clear. The author also encourages good works in serving the Lord; all these things are good. Our christian like should not consist of only good works and bible study. The danger is if we concentrate only on these and do not worship Him with praise and adoration, we risk losing our joy. The joy of the Lord is our strength.

My church really stresses christian service. I plan to read the book every year to get my christian life back in balance.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

drfuss,

actually when you clarified with your next to last post, I realized what was meant. Thank you. [​IMG] Id have to agree it sounds like good reading for mature Christians. You are right in that it can often be easy for us to get so busy for the Lord that we forget to be WITH the Lord.

7. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

As in everything there must be a balance. The Bible says we must worship Him in spirit and truth. Truth being the Word of God, that implies obedience. A truly worshipful soul will be one who carries out his service toward God.

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Crabb's thesis as stated here is fundamentally flawed. One Greek word often translated "worship" in the NT (latreuo) can mean either "worship" in the conventional sense as well as "serve." The truth is, both attitude and action are vitally important. God demands both proper heart attitude and proper service.

I will say, of course, the proper pressure for that should be the Holy Spirit's leading in our hearts. And we must put worship above service, as the story of Mary and Martha teaches. If that is what Crabb is saying, okay.

I haven't read anything by Crabb in years, but his philosophy of "spoil the Egyptians" in his book Effecitve Biblical Counseling repels me. This philosophy is that we should add equal measures of Biblical truth and psychological "truth" to our counseling and we'll come out prospering. Martin and Deidre Bobgan do a number on Crabb in their book Prophets of Psychoheresy I. [​IMG]

9. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

When it comes to the works of a Christian: "When it has all been said and done, there'll be a whole lot more said than done".

In other words, we love to say which is more important because then there is no Holy Spirit balance that must be struck.

I, for instance, have times in my life when I work much and feel wore out knowing I need to be refreshed in the Lord and have been imbalanced.

There have been other times though, where I become a "deeper lifer" and circumvent my responsibilities as a servant of Christ.