1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

(Book) "No More Christian Nice Guy" by Paul Coughlin

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Shadowlands, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Anyone ever wonder if Christian's are being "too nice" to unsaved people in order to win their souls to Jesus? The reason I ask is I've not only personally observed other brother's going the extra mile to avoid giving offense to an unsaved person in the hopes of one day winning that person to the Lord, but I've heard messages from the pulpit from "We need to be extra careful not to say or do anything if we expect to win that person to the Lord. We have to show them we're genuine..." (one of many examples I've heard preached).

That last part bothers me because after reading Brother Paul's book, I realize that being nice and being good are two different things. When I say "good", I'm not referring to good works. I'm referring to Christian Nice Guys who avoid all kinds of conflict in order to win souls, but I've seen how that backfires. Unsaved people take advantage of your nice demeanor and just walk all over you. A Christian Good Guy on the other hand is wise and knows when to be polite and respectful, especially toward church and secular authority. He also know's when and where to stand his ground and draw that line and say "It stops here!" Then you take names.

The original full title of his book is: "No More Christian Nice Guy: When Being Nice --Instead of Good--Hurts Men, Women and Children".

It has blessed me with an entirely different perspective. I'm alot better for it.

• Like Like x 1