1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book Review: The Fool and the Heretic

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by Deacon, Jul 9, 2024.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Fool and the Heretic: How Two Scientists Moved beyond Labels to a Christian Dialogue about Creation and Evolution [Amazon Link]
    by Todd Charles Wood and Darrel R. Falk.
    Zondervan, 2019, 191 pages

Dr. Todd Charles Wood earned a B.S. in biology from Liberty University and a Ph.D. in biochemistry from the University of Virginia. He is the founder and president of the Core Academy of Science, a research and educational organization devoted to helping Christians navigate the challenges of science and faith from a young-earth creationist (YEC) point of view.

Dr. Darrel R. Falk earned his PhD in genetics is from the University of Alberta. He is Professor Emeritus of Biology at Point Loma Nazarene University and is the past president and a current senior advisor with BioLogos Foundation, an advocacy group that emphasizes compatibility between science and Christian faith from an evolutionary creation point of view.

The book is a dialogue between well educated scholars who hold opposing views about a frequently debated issue in Christianity. Each chapter alternates positions. In the beginning, the common approach of those that debate the issue is to consider the other ignorant, to ignore them and at the same time, stab them in the back with hateful words.
    The opening two chapters begin with the men describing why the other person is wrong and why it matters. The authors also express their expectations and fears about how the future of these discussions will go.

You find terms that have been thrown about frequently, pseudo-science, false teacher, misleader, the work of Satan, destroyer of peoples confidence in Scripture, you’ve seen most of them (and more) here on the BaptistBoard. Anyone who has dealt with the topic has been slandered by such words.

As the dialogue continues, words are exchanged, egos are bruised but through it all, both men begin to understand the position and concerns of the other.

Later the science is discussed. These are two men highly educated in the evolutionary sciences. The chapters may surprise/disappoint/discourage some because there is an admittance of some common misconceptions.
    [“For those who would appreciate a more complete treatment of the science behind their views, I refer you to Darrel’s book, Coming to Peace with Science (IVP Academic), as well as his YouTube channel—Coming to Peace with Science with Darrel Falk, and to the website Human Genesis (Creation Research on Human Origins) , which Todd edits.] (I have not investigated the sites!)

I’d like to say they came to an agreement, that they resolved the matter…but they didn’t.
    Still, they developed a mutual respect for each other.

“…Of course, he thinks he’s right and I’m wrong. There wouldn’t be a conflict if he didn’t. But it goes beyond that. Sitting with Darrel, listening to his frustrations with creationists, and, even more important, praying with him leads to a much more visceral unveiling. He’s worried about the very same things I am. If it weren’t for evolution, I’d look at him and find myself looking right back. That’s a hard thing to discover. My enemy is just like me. Even worse, sometimes in our disagreement, he has a point. I’ve been frustrated too, …”​

I rarely purchase books on Kindle but did so with this one. It's a quick read, It will open some eyes, it will dull other eyes, but in the end, hopefully, it will encourage each of us to begin to respect the positions that each of us holds.

Rob