1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Books for Men

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Monergist, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Here's some books that I have read recently that I have found helpful in areas pertaining to manhood and family leadership. I'll try and list them from the most helpful to the least. I'm hoping that anyone knowing of other good ones will share them as well.

Family Man, Family Leader by Phillip Lancaster- This is one that needs to be read by every Christian husband and father. Time and again I was convicted of my own failings as leader of my family. The author looks at Christ's role as prophet, priest and king; then makes application how husbands are to fulfill these roles in modeling Christ-like leadership.

The Exemplary Husband by Stuart Scott - A fairly comprehensive look at the Biblical role of a husband and father. I highly recommend this one.

The Godly Man's Picture by Thomas Watson- This book is pure Puritan Gold. And for those new to reading the Puritans, this is a good place to start. A warning though, you might not like it if you like being Arminian.

Federal Husband by Douglas Wilson- Wilson shows how men are to take responsiblity for their families. This is a good book for understanding the covenant relationship of marriage.

Disciplines of a Godly Man by R. Kent Hughes. Its been a while since I read this one, but I do remember it being quite helpful. He focuses on the importance of training ourselves for Godliness and then makes application to the different areas of responsibilty.

Fidelity: What It Means to Be a One Woman Man by Douglas Wilson.- This is another hard-hitting book by Wilson. While the book is very worthwhile, I feel that it is marred by a bit of graphic languange that could have been done without. A good read for men.

The Man in the Mirror by Patrick Morley- I know that this book has been pretty popular, but its my least favorite of all the others. Overall, its worth a read. Would make a good starting point for men examining the biblical view of manhood. Just don't stop here.

Anyone else have some good ones to share?

2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man to Man by Charles Swindoll.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

If you liked Hughes book on spiritual disciplines, check out Don Whitney's book on Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life.

4. superdave

superdave New Member

Disciplines of a Godly Man is a good book.

I liked 12 Ordinary Men by MacArthur, good evaluation of the disciples and their lack of qualifications for being world-changing leaders, the applications for us to be making our ministry all about Christ were challenging to me.

5. superdave

superdave New Member

Some of those books, specifically the Fidelity book by wilson, seemed like more behavioristic garbage to me. "If you struggle with this particular sin, follow this plan, etc." I don't know, I have not read it, I just read a synopsis and a few reviews, but almost every book on that subject lacks spiritual substance, and just gives a few practical suggestions that don't deal with the heart issues. Even making marriage the answer is sadly inadequate. If you struggle with those areas before marriage, you will struggle with them after.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Man in the Mirror would be a start, but I don't know that I'd call it a good start. Maybe the problem is that I already know what my purpose is and I've worked out my answers to most, if not all, of the questions that the book claims to help me solve.

Quite frankly, as I was reading it, I kept asking myself, "They actually paid this guy to write this stuff?" It seemed overly generalistic and trite to me.

IMHO and FWIW,

Chris

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

Sorry Monergist, I had not ready any on your list, but I will look for them.

I have read 12 ordinary men that superdave mentioned. I thought it was excellent.

My favorite book on this subject is Pointman by Steven Farrar. I also read Steve's second book, Standing Tall. I know he has several other books out but I have only read these two. I loved them both and Pointman was a huge help to me.

8. Journeyman1

Journeyman1 New Member

Tender Warrior by Stu Weber - excellent
    Wild At Heart, John Eldredge
    Journey of Desire, " "
    Sacred Romance, " " just ok.
    By Steve Ferrar:
    Finishing Strong
    Tempered Steel
    Gettin There
    All first rate, by Steve Ferrar
    My favorite author has to be Stu Weber.