1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Books for pastors on Nook

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Tom Bryant, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife got a Nook for me on my b-day. I am just learning to use it.

Anyone suggest some good books on Nook for a pastor?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There's a blog called Practical Shepherding that's excellent for pastors (I can't recommend it enough) and he's been listing some great books for pastors to have. Not so much reference books but important reads. Do a google search for it and you should find it quickly. :)

3. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Ann! I have added it to my favorites. Looks to be a great site!

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's really been fantastic for us. Hubby is a late in life pastor and there are some things that he just really needed some advice on and it was nice to be able to go there and search on "funeral" for example. :) I love reading what he has to say each update and find things I learn each time.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a program that is called Calibre that can convert ebooks from one format to another so you can use any ebook (within its limits) for your Nook.

If it is a color Nook and you have some daring you can google and find people that have modified the software so that it is an android tablet -from what I've read, do not have one. Then you could use one of a number of Bible programs for Bibles, commentaries etc.

There is a forum for ereader folks with a section for free books where you can pick stuff up now and then though it is a secular forum.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ is the reader forum.
    http://www.calibre-ebook.com/ is the converter program.

The converter is kind of funky to use but works pretty good.

There are tons of free ebooks online free. Google for the title you want in quotes and you might find it. Most any classic/older stuff is free.

You might put requests here as some of us might have the title you want also. I have a couple thousand books I'd guess on my drive at any given time.

Your local library may well allow checking out by download - most of them use Nook type software.

6. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could recommend a ton of good books for you but if "Nook" is one of those computer things, I don't know if they're available on Nook.

If it's like an ipad (which, admittedly, I don't know much about), I've got a friend who has all his sermons and notes on it and he carries it everywhere so that he can preach at a moment's notice. He says it's great.

7. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the responses so far.

I guess I was asking what book or books would you recommend reading. Nook puts books on a more affordable basis for now. I have a 'wish list' but was wondering what books you'd say are 'must haves' for a pastor.

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #8 exscentric, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2011