1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Books for women

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Spinach, Oct 25, 2009.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I would highly caution against the Pearl's books and teaching. They have some very faulty beliefs. I studied "Created to be His Help Meet" a few years ago and I found some really wrong and dangerous teaching in that.

Here is a site with a review of pretty much exactly what I came up with as well. It was easier to point to this website than to transfer my notebook full of notes to a coherant review. :)

http://razorbackmama.homeschooljournal.net/category/book-reviews/created-to-be-his-help-meet/

Here are some additional resources:

http://razorbackmama.homeschooljournal.net/category/book-reviews/created-to-be-his-help-meet/

http://spunkyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2005/07/created-to-be-his-help-meet-part-1.html

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Priscilla taught Apollos alongside her husband in a private setting and not the church. and Phoebe did not hold a leadership position but was a servant of the church. We're left with Deborah who was a judge - not a spiritual leader - and her leadership was used to mortify the men who would not step up.

Families is not the context at all of this passage. So you're saying a woman is not to teach or have authority in the home but it's OK outside of the home? That is quite the stretch and not supported at all by the context of this passage in 1 Timothy 2.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs:

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

I see nothing wrong with this especially since the vast majority of male pastors do the same thing. I agree that to much emotion becomes distracting and/or a manipulative tool for some as well, but I have not seen this with her. Granted she is not my favorite author but I can say that this isn't an issue I have found. Maybe for you, but not for me on this portion.

In my opinion - If we preach or teach like we have no convictions or truth that stirs our hearts then I would suggest that person step down.

God has given me a great many words, sermons, and even a few songs. I don't get your point here. Do you not believe the Lord speaks to you and even through you at times?

OK, I have heard this said but haven't found any valid evidence for the statement. For me, I haven't found any evidence of it with the exception of some vague statements. But 'I' haven't found or seen anything she has written or stated that confirms the allegation.

Do you have anything, that would help me out with this because THIS concerns me more than anything else?

#24 Allan, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2009
  5. Allan

Allan Active Member

:laugh: Now see, I agree with this. :tongue3:

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

http://www.wayoflife.org/files/43fe9fd4682b8b1886c5c3bdd6f3d40e-145.html

http://www.worldviewtimes.com/article.php/articleid-635

http://www.onetruthministries.com/BeStill.htm

#26 Revmitchell, Oct 29, 2009
  7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Which is an example of why the passage is not an admonition of women in leadership positions.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Like I said, the Greek context of the words "gunh" and "aner" lose something in the translation. However, in a plain English reading, the passage says nothing about a spiritual or church setting, so one must conclude that it is a general concept. This means that women in roles of secular leadership are violating this passage, yet few Christians would apply it that way. The only application that is consistent with the context is to understand the passage in its original koine context. In that context, the words are referring to a man-woman relationship, not to a general setting.

But there's a more specific issue that the letter to Timothy addresses, which is often ignored. As a matter of historical record, there was a serious issue with occultic beliefs which were being spreadamong the women of the day, being passed from one woman to another, and eventually being passed from the woman in a household to the man in the household. Timothy was dealing with this very issue in the early church. Paul's letter to Timothy addresses thgat very specific issue in these passages. To apply it out of that context is to misapply scripture.

#28 Johnv, Oct 29, 2009
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

First of all, what does Paul have to do with directing the world outside the church? He's speaking to churches about the churches. He is not speaking of government other than how those in the churches should respond to government. Of course he's speaking of within the church.

Secondly, the fact that Paul wrote to two separate churches similar feelings says that it's not a singular church issue. To point back to creation shows that it's not just a particular church issue but something that applies to all believers.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

My point exactly, so that eliminates the idea that it's a general concept.
    He's speaking to churches about specific problems the churches are encountering.
    They're appear somewhat similar only in that there's a gender component in each, but that's it, but they're not similar in what's being addressed, or in content.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That is some scary stuff. From the 3rd link:

Christians have no business fooling around with stuff like this.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

We are talking about teaching God's word to men; this is something God forbids and I think I posted the verse on this multiple times on other threads in the past few weeks. People should have it memorized by now.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But substituting emotion for substance doesn't cut it. This is what I meant.

She wrote as though the words were directly from God, like the Bible. No, when I write, I do not claim the words are from God.

Yes, I have something for you. She was on the "Be Still" DVD (made by Richard Foster and Dallas Willard). I probably spent a total of 40 hours on this, watching it and going over the transcript over and over again to write my article on it. Here it is:
    http://christiananswersforthenewage.org/Articles_BeStillDVD.html

Additionally, in the past 3 yrs. or so, two women whom I know (but who did not know each other) each separately told me that they had strong concerns over some of Moore's more recent studies. In each case, their husbands (one is a pastor) looked at the material and agreed.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Marcia, do you know what studies they are? There is one going on now for a women's SS class at my church, but I don't know which one it is. I would like more information if you have it.

I am also going to read your article.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think "Believing God" is one and something about when bad things (don't know exact title). I'll try to find out and PM you or post it here. Thanks for reading my article.

17. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Thank you for these links!!! I read the book and felt grieved by it, but couldn't articulate why. Scary stuff!!!

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Amy, "Believing God" is one. Also, a friend I know has reservations on the Fruit of the Spirit study. This friend is very discerning and bright - has had seminary studies and is a godly woman who loves the Lord. She says that one of her concerns is that Moore uses "figurative interpretation," not really historical/grammatical, though Moore would probably say that's the method she uses. Iow, with the Esther study, since Esther had a specific destiny God prepared her for, then we should all be looking for our destiny. This is different from just realizing God has purposes for our lives, and aside from that, using Esther this way is poor hermeneutics. This friend says Moore uses this figurative interpretation in a lot of her studies.

I have to say when I've heard Moore speak on certain scripture passages, I too, have noted very poor hermeneutics at times. This is another reason I do not recommend her. I am not saying Moore has nothing to offer or that she does not have some good teaching, but it is so flawed in other ways. Many of my women friends have noticed this.

Here is something on "Believing God" you will want to read. This person points out both the good and bad points of this study:
    http://cafebiblia.com/?p=159

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Amy, other Beth Moore studies that have evoked concerns are "When Godly People do Ungodly Things," and 'Breaking Free from Faulty Strongholds." I think it's in the latter that she has some unbiblical spiritual warfare stuff.

Here is a page for you with links to some articles:
    http://pfo.org/Beth_Moore.htm

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yes, I heard--------BUT---------those men "sneak in" the back row disquised in wigs and high heel pumps!!:laugh::laugh:

Just jokin' there, Marcia!!!! Just jokin'!!!!!