1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Books on Baptist Successionism

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by CarpentersApprentice, Feb 18, 2007.

1. CarpentersApprentice

What do you think of these books?

W. Morgan Patterson, Baptist Successionism: A Critical View (Judson Press, 1969).

James Edward McGoldrick, Baptist Successionism: A Crucial Question in Baptist History (Scarecrow Press, 2000)

CA

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Haven't read them, and I imagine a lot of us haven't.

If you'll summarize the authors' views, that'll be helpful. Or just give us your view of successionism and we can be off and running.

3. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Morgan Patterson was my teacher at SBTS in the 1960's. In fact, I was his grader, and his signature is on my ordination certificate. So you know I am a bit biased.

The logical fallacies of successionism were in those days a major area of concern for Dr. Patterson. Knowing how thorough he was as a teacher and scholar, I am confident that the book -- which, though it is nearly thirty years old, I do not have nor have I read -- is equally objective and complete.

4. CarpentersApprentice

I am in general agreement with both of the books.

There seem to be a significant minority of Baptist successionists on the board. I was hoping that one or more of them could critique Patterson and McGoldrick's positions.

However, this post has been here long enough for me to see that you are correct, apparently no one has read them.

CA