1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boston Globe Article on Mitt Romney and Mormons

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jan 2, 2007.

1. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Here is an excelent artical by George Will on the minimum wage.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/.../raising_the_minimum_wage_is_still_a_bad_idea

But just so I am clear, you are a conservative who wants the federal goverment to control wages. And you want the federal goverments control of wages to superscede that of the states and the free market.

Maybe I dont know what a conservative is. Apparently being a conservative is to want a Bigger Federal goverment with more power.

Ken, now I know why you are not a Libertarian any longer. They kicked you out. :laugh:

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have the same reservations.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200701/POL20070104b.html

Weigh Romney on His Consistency, Not Mormonism, Christian Scholar Says

By Kevin Mooney
    CNSNews.com Staff Writer
    January 04, 2007

(CNSNews.com) - Politically active Christians who see Republican Mitt Romney as a potential champion for social conservatism in the 2008 presidential race should worry more about his consistency on key issues than about his Mormon religion, a Christian legal scholar said.

Romney, just finishing one term as governor of Massachusetts, filed papers Wednesday to set up an exploratory committee for an expected White House bid. He has been reaching out to social conservatives, touting his opposition to same-sex "marriage," abortion and judicial activism.

Some critics on right, however, contend that Romney has "flip-flopped" his position on highly charged public policy issues.

Their arguments should be carefully weighed by evangelicals and other conservative Christians, Prof. James Davids, an assistant dean at the law and government schools at Regent University in Virginia Beach, Va., told Cybercast News Service.

Davids pointed to a conservative Catholic blog, which claims that Romney in the past has held more permissive views on homosexual rights and abortion. He said the claims give Christians good reason for pause.

In a recent entry in the blog, Morley Institute for Church and Culture Director Deal W. Hudson argues that Romney's "late-life" conversion to a pro-life viewpoint should "raise eyebrows" among Catholics.

http://dealwhudson.typepad.com/deal_w_hudson/2007/01/some_questions_.html

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice catch. Thanks. :)

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not said either of those things.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mitt has never, ever stated support for homosexual marriages. He changed his position on abortion when faced with the reality of what embryonic stem cell research is about.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    " In 1994, Romney won the endorsement of the gay-advocating Log Cabin Club of Massachusetts, saying he would be a stronger advocate for gays than US Senator Edward M. Kennedy. "We must make equality for gays and lesbians a mainstream concern. My opponent cannot do this. I can and will."

During his 2002 run for governor, Romney supported full domestic partnership benefits for gay and lesbian couples which had been opposed by Democratic legislative leadership, and his campaign distributed pink flyers during Gay Pride promoting equal rights for all citizens regardless of their sexual preference.

During that same 2002 run, Romney also denounced as “too extreme” an effort by pro-family groups to enact a state Marriage Protection Amendment banning gay marriage, civil unions and same-sex domestic-partnership benefits which could have preempted the November 2003 same-sex marriage court decision."

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Equal rights and domestic partnerships do not equal homosexual marriage. Some folks may disagree with my statement but I'm not moving off of it. :)

8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

What does this mean then.

9. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

What about stem cell research made him change his mind. This is a guy that voted for the use of RU-486.

Something is not right with this. It is abortion that makes me not want stem cell research. Take away my opposition to abortion and I can see nothing else wrong with stem cell research.

What is it about stem cell research that makes a person change there mind about abortion? See what I am saying.

10. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mitt Romney ALWAYS tries to have it both ways.

Yo, DeeJay, he might have changed his mind when he saw a poll like this one:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/03/ap/politics/mainD8MDPPC00.shtml

ESCR = mistake, increase in minimum wage = colossal mistake, both will pass.

Okay, it's an al-AP poll, but all show similar results. Minimum wage increases -especially of THAT magnitude -will tank the economy in about, uhhhhhh, two years from now.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "This would stop it from being used as a political football every few years." - KenH

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gov. Romney: My position has changed and I have acknowledged that. How that came about is that several years ago, in the course of the stem-cell-research debate I met with a pair of experts from Harvard. At one point the experts pointed out that embryonic-stem-cell research should not be a moral issue because the embryos were destroyed at 14 days. After the meeting I looked over at Beth Myers, my chief of staff, and we both had exactly the same reaction — it just hit us hard just how much the sanctity of life had been cheapened by virtue of the Roe v. Wade mentality. And from that point forward, I said to the people of Massachusetts, “I will continue to honor what I pledged to you, but I prefer to call myself pro-life.” The state of Massachusetts is a pro-choice state and when I campaigned for governor I said that I would not change the law on abortion. But I do believe that the one-size-fits-all, abortion-on-demand-for-all-nine-months decision in Roe v. Wade does not serve the country well and is another example of judges making the law instead of interpreting the Constitution.

What I would like to see is the Court return the issue to the people to decide. The Republican party is and should remain the pro-life party and work to change hearts and minds and create a culture of life where every child is welcomed and protected by law and the weakest among us are protected. I understand there are people of good faith on both sides of the issue. They should be able to make and advance their case in democratic forums with civility, mutual respect, and confidence that our democratic process is the best place to handle these issues.

And yes, as a private citizen I have counseled women not to have abortions.

- http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=MmY1MTQyMTk0Yjk2ZDNmZmVmNmNkNjY4ODExMGM5NWE=

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're quibbling.

His actions speak for him.

14. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Thats a good reason for makeing policy?? You want Federal Goverment to further control wages squashing the free market just so polititions will stop arguing about it.

What else is a political football, that you would compromise on just so polititions will stop arguing.