1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boy Scouts merit badge

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Salty, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a young man (age 10) in our church who is in the Boy Scouts program. He is in the process of obtaining his "religion" merit badge. Our pastor must sign a statement saying he has completed the requirements. However, there are no requirements listed. That is to be left up to the church.
    Have any of you assisted a Boy Scout for this merit badge? What are some suggestions that the lad could preform to qualify for this merit badge? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

As I remember - there are "God and Country" programs for Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts - as opposed to a merit badge for "religion" - unless there is a new program since I left the scouting program.

I was able to get "God and Country" programs for Baptists through the local Boy Scout center!

Dan

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I helped one last year. HE made up a list of questions to ask me - think his were to make up a comparison chart between various religions and evangelical christianity.

Sharp kid. Good questions. I think he will be Eagle by age 16.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right, Dan. There are no religious "merit badges."

If he's 10, he's a probably a Bear.

For the Bear, the requirement simply is "Practice your religion as you are taught in your home, church, synagogue, mosque, or other religious community." That's it.

BEAR REQUIREMENTS

There are several awards for religious education, depending on age: "God and Me" for Cubs, "God and Family" for Webelos, "God and Church" for Scouts and "God and Life" for older Scouts and Explorers. (The Baptist awards have the same names as the generic Protestant awards, although there is a different curriculum.) There are specific requirements for these awards; as Dan has pointed out, materials are available from Boy Scout sources. They do require a bit of work on the part of the boys and the counselors. My son received the generic God and Family emblem in a program conducted on consecutive Saturdays.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure, but that's the former Cubmaster, assistant Webelos leader, Webelos leader, assistant Scoutmaster and Chartered Organization Representative talking ...