1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bragging, Boasting or Straight from the Heart?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jan 10, 2013.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am posting this because the more I read through the responses to the post titled: "Testimony And Prayer Request In The Church" the more God convicted my heart of this sin. I hope some of you can relate and help me with this personal tendency to move from excited and blessed by the words of others, to be, well, flat out judgmental!

Here's some background history that led me to this question: I have been in services where it seems that some of the testimony appears to be nothing more than simple boasting. Of course, I do not wish to judge what another says, but some of the people will share how they gave their last fifty dollars and out of nowhere a check for five hundred dollars came in the mail.

I have problems with some folks, as it often comes across as one upsmanship, or a "see what God did for me" challenge!

I love to hear straight from the heart testimonies, but times that I can't help but wonder from which part of the person the words came, and then I end up having to repent for my questioning thoughts.

Does this ever happen to any of you? I would love to Know, and how you deal with your thoughts when this happens? I know I feel so badly, but some folks just don't seem sincere, and their words put me on my knees, asking God to forgive my heart. :type:

#1 righteousdude2, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

I've been right where you've been. Wrestling with the same motes and beams. Still do, as new stumbling blocks appear in my path each day.

"I hope some of you can relate and help me with this personal tendency to move from excited and blessed by the words of others, to be, well, flat out judgmental!" -- "I love to hear straight from the heart testimonies, but times that I can't help but wonder from which part of the person the words came, and then I end up having to repent for my questioning thoughts."

Whether it's testimony, song, prayer, sermon or to simply hear someone say "what a beautiful sunset". I, too, love to hear those words when they come from the heart of another person.

RD, I believe the Holy Spirit gives a believer the ability to discern good fruit.

Also believe there's a difference between questioning/rejecting some fruit and being "flat out judgemental".

Ever hear "going through the motions" prayers during services? IMO, there's a difference between recognizing those, for what they are, and crossing the boundry into sin. There's a difference between being disappointed at lip service and flat out judgement, as I think you are using the term.

It ain't easy. It ain't easy to even find the right words to convey what I'm trying to say this morning.

................................................ pause

Perhaps, it's this. We are to discern good fruit. That includes the good fruit within our own hearts. To pray the Holy Spirit will take the beams from our eyes when we look upon ourselves. That we may see, with clarity when our disappointment in others and in ourselves becomes sinful judgement.

Thank you for a thought provoking topic this morning. One that I need to do some more considering, too.