1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Branches of Theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Mar 20, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a previous thread I was COMPLETELY MISUNDERSTOOD and I blame myself for it because I did not communicate well. One thing I learned in seminary was the many different types of theology some of which are as follows.

Pragmatic or practical theology – studying theology as it relates to everyday living and service to God, including serving as a religious minister

Systematic theology (doctrinal theology, dogmatic theology or philosophical theology)—focused on the attempt to arrange and interpret the ideas current in the religion. This is also associated with constructive theology

Biblical theology – interpretation of the Bible, often with particular emphasis on links between biblical texts and the topics of systematic or dogmatic theology[6]

Apologetics/polemics – studying Christian theology as it compares to non-Christian worldviews in order to defend the faith and challenge beliefs that lie in contrast with Christianity

Historical theology – studying Christian theology via the thoughts of other Christians throughout the centuries[6]

You see in my church they are big on practical theology but not so big on the other branches of theology. It is true no church is perfect, but its just a weakness that I see. But then again I have been in other churches that were very deep, the pastor recommended a book every sermon, and they had a wonderful bookstore with lots of academic and deep theological reads. However they were shallow on practical theology, as my former roommate told a story of a friend of his whom showed up in shorts and a t-shirt and he was walked out the door as the church was quite legalistic on their dress standards. So one needs balance.....

Does this make sense?

#1 evangelist6589, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014