1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Breaking a College Rule

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dr. Bob, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are still in said school, please do NOT share any story which might (on an open forum) lead to problem. But I'm wondering if there are examples of times when you broke a MAJOR rule of your college/seminary.

Why? What consequences? Evaluation in light of passing years - as much or as little as you desire to share.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1968 the authority and conduct of the President of my ifb college was being undermined by the college trustees and esp the powerful chairman of the trustees.

He turned in his resignation to the trustees effective on __ __ (a month hence) and asked them to reconsider and work with him. If not, he would make his resignation public.

The month passed with no reconciliation, so the President stood in chapel, shared his disappointment and a very very brief sketch of the issues, and resigned. Coming "out of the blue" to the students (and faculty) it was a BOMB.

The next day the Chairman of the trustees and many trustees came to chapel and announced how evil and vile the President was, that he was now FIRED and any student who even talked with him would be expelled without argument. He would stay in the president's home on campus but no salary, no food, no contact.

Sounds like a bunch of Baptists, right?

Some friends and I gathered $$ from the two men's dorms, bought bags and bags of groceries, then took them at night. We arranged to meet at a lonely country crossroad simply to share and hug and give Christian support to the President in an Acts 20 type cry-fest.

Long story short, I broke a rule that should have expelled me in my Jr year from bible college. And would do it again. All these men involved are long gone to glory and the issues truly were minor compared to some. But last week in my travels I drove past that old cross road and memories flooded my heart.