1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Breaking Free from Political Polarization with Classical Liberalism

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KenH, Mar 1, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is 70 minutes long, but if you have the time, it is well worth the watching. Excellent discussion of the minarchist(Night Watchman State)/libertarian/classical liberal viewpoint versus progressivism and conservatism.

"We are polarized between two political tribes, perhaps like never before: left vs right, liberal vs conservative, democrat vs republican. In ongoing culture wars, progressives are ascendant and conservatives fight to recover lost ground. But do these opposing camps have more in common than they care to admit? And is there a political philosophy that sees the world through a completely different lens?

To help us answer these questions, we're joined by Bruce Pardy, a professor of law and executive director of Rights Probe, a law and liberty think tank. He is a classically liberal legal academic who believes in equal treatment under the law, negative rights, private property, limited government, and the separation of powers, which are foundational to the Western legal tradition. He is a critic of legal progressivism, social justice, and the discretionary managerial state, and has written extensively on a range of pressing legal subjects that are at the forefront of the culture war inside the law."

#1 KenH, Mar 1, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  2. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Classical Liberalism doesn’t enforce or protect its convictions, so it disappears as soon as it appears. It’s a permanently defensive idea that will only lose ground and progressively be overwhelmed by the hard conviction evangelistic ideologies.
    It’s abstract but it’s also a vacuum. It tolerates it’s ideological enemies to its destruction.

Classical liberalism needs to be attached to an ideology willing to defend itself and assert its convictions.

A conservative is a libertarian that tries to actually conserve liberty.

The old “ Just don’t tell me what to do “ doesn’t cut it. There is not enough there to build a functioning society on.

Conservatism although it is still on the defensive side of the ledger, puts up a better fight defending liberty. It doesn’t balk at using state institutions to defend liberty.

Conservatism says be as free as you like, so long as it doesn’t harm others. It recognises a wider community, in its protection of individual liberty.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many differences between conservatives and libertarians.

Libertarians tend to be conservative in economic issues
    and Libertarians tend to be liberal in social issues.

I like to use this example"
    (Most) libertarians have no problem with a woman having an abortion
    But would be against the government paying for an abortion.

I also use this definition:
    A conservative says that the job of government to protect us from others.
    A liberal says that the job of government is to protect us from ourselves.

• Like Like x 1
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad that you used the word "tend". I am not socially progressive on cultural issues; however, I don't want to the government to force others to abide by my socially conservative views.

On abortion it should be a state issue. I oppose any effort by progressives to legalize abortions by the federal government, and I oppose any effort by conservatives to ban abortions by the federal government. There is no warrant in the U.S. Constitution for federal government involvement in abortion, nor in the vast majority of issues that it is currently involved in.

Generally speaking, across all levels of government, I go along with what Frank Meyer wrote:

"The state therefore has two natural functions, functions essential to the existence of any peaceful, ordered society: to protect the rights of citizens against violent or fraudulent assault, and to judge in conflicts of right with right. It has a further third function, which is another aspect of the first, that is, to protect its citizens from assault by foreign powers. These three functions are expressed by three powers: the police power, which protects the citizen against domestic violence; the military power, which protects the citizen against violence from abroad; and the courts of law, which judge between rights and rights, as well as sharing with the police power the protection of the citizen against domestic violence.

But since this institution must possess a monopoly of legal physical force, to give to it in addition any further power is fraught with danger; that monopoly gives to the state so much power that its natural functions should be its maximum functions.

- Frank S. Meyer, In Defense of Freedom: A Conservative Credo, published in 1962

• Like Like x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that mean that murder should not be against the law?
    That is in the 10 commandments

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Ten Commandments were given as part of the Law of Moses, which ended on the day of Pentecost after the resurrection of Christ. Also, as far as I know, all societies have laws against murder, even heathen ones.

In addition, I think you would understand that "socially conservative views" would be my opposition to things such as shacking up, fornication, etc., plus rooting for the New York Yankees.

(Just kidding about rooting for the Yankees...I think :D)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously, I was a bit facetious about murder being legal.

But where do we draw the line.
    If a religious group wanted to sacrifice animals - should they be allowed - because we don't like ti?
    Should Blue laws be - established - but would it be for Sat or Sunday?
    Should we pass laws that would allow employees to get a day of "spiritual rest" off (sat or Sun?)

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. That is not a minarchist position.

No. That is not a minarchist position.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a libertarian friend(he died a few years ago) but he hosted a morning call-in show on a local radio station for a number of years, and, as he would put, standing up for liberty means allowing other people the liberty to do things that might turn your stomach.

I would say if someone wanted to do a religious ceremony of some kind with an animal like a cow or chicken or some other animal that humans commonly eat, before they butcher it to eat it, I don't think they should be interfered with.

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you are putting restrictions on the animal sacrifice when you say “some kind of animals…. That humans commonly eat”.

What about animals not commonly eaten in the US? Cats? Dogs? Camels? What about protected species? Bald eagle? Buffalo? Whales? Dolphins? Monkeys? Gorillas? Rhinos? (the animal not the people)

If you allow animal sacrifice for one group, hoe can you deny the other?

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets take it from here!
    Now that h0m0se/uals can serve openly in the US military - evidently a "couple" who are (legally) married can now move into govt quarters.

So lets say you and your family live in military housing - and the occupants across the hall are both men. How do you explain that to your kids?

upload_2023-3-5_15-0-10.png

-

Attached Files:

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You protect your kids like you always would. Never open the door for anyone but mommy or daddy. Never go into anyone’s house without mommy or daddy.” Don’t reenlist if it is an issue.

peace to you

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you expect someone like myself, a worm of a man, to be consistent, then I am sorry, I am not going to be consistent.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea. I am hoping that the following happens really, really, really soon - like maybe today!

2 Peter 3:10-13 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness

• Like Like x 1
  15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is why we need something the majority agrees on politically, like the Constitution, to guide these kinds of questions.

BTW, just because someone is a worm of a man doesn’t mean he cannot be consistent.

Peace to you

16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come Lord Jesus!!!!

peace to you

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I am looking forward to the day when Christ returns and things like the U.S. Constitution won't matter at all as this heavens and earth will be replaced by the new heavens and earth wherein dwells righteousness.

• Agree Agree x 1