1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Breaking news actually old news "Early church Fathers Taught the Pre-Trib" view

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by revmwc, May 6, 2015.

1. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet you did not post the entire context or a link to where you got the information from. Why was that? The context shows especially with the first one that death is what is being talked about not the rapture. Only when you rip away the context and read the rapture into it can you argue that they were teaching pre-trib view.

2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

No reason to give the link, gave the place in the writing where it was found that should be enough. Someone wants to find it they can like I did.

I find it I post it and OR and others just say it's a lie or false or ignorant or nonsense, so why bother to give the the link, they won't believe it anyway. Just like you offer your interpretation of it. I disagree on your point but I clearly made my interpretation known in the OP so no need to comment on it. All three were looking for Christ to come before the Tribulation in a Rapture. Each mentioned a catching away or being caught away of what I remember of it. Yet you say they were looking for death. Whatever you choose to interpret is your free choice just like salvation is a free choice.

3. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The context shows they were talking about death. You should go back and explain why in the larger context death is not what is being talked about. Your the one that made the claim that it is the rapture so why are you not defending the claim now that more information is out there for all to see what they are really talking about.

And giving a link is just common courtesy, as people can say anything they like but having proof to back up what you say gives it more weight. If you were writing a paper you would have had to site your source, more so then just the name.

And by the way I'm reformed so I believe Salvation is all of God, not based on the work of my free choice but anymore will send us into the cal vs arm territory :)

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Every pre-tribber agreed with what it said, that was rapture teaching. Every amil, pranmil believes what they want to believe. No reason to go back and restate what was said. No reason to offer any comment but one word yet I offered more.
    Since you are the robot of OR you will agree with him 100% on everything he says.

5. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting since I am Pre-Mill and yet OR is A-Mill.
    But you seem to agree that Pre-tribbers all run in lock step together since "Every pre-tribber agreed" so who is being the robot?
    And how does that add to the debate?

6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Cyprian

“We who see that terrible things have begun, and know that still more terrible things are imminent, may regard it as the greatest advantage to depart from it as quickly as possible. Do you not give God thanks, do you not congratulate yourself, that by an early departure you are taken away, and delivered from the shipwrecks and disasters that are imminent? Let us greet the day which assigns each of us to his own home, which snatches us hence, and sets us free from the snares of the world and restores us to paradise and the kingdom.”

Clearly he uses the Greek term Harpazo is seen in the portion in red, that is the Greek term Paul used for the catching away of the Church. In Thessalonians and Corinthians.

Ephraim,
    “We ought to understand thoroughly therefore, my brothers, what is imminent or overhanging. Already there have been hunger and plagues, violent movements of nations and signs, which have been predicted by the Lord, they have already been fulfilled (consummated), and there is not other which remains, except the advent of the wicked one in the completion of the Roman kingdom. Why therefore are we occupied with worldly business, and why is our mind held fixed on the lusts of the world or on the anxieties of the ages? Why therefore do we not reject every care of worldly business, and why is our mind held fixed on the lusts of the world or on the anxieties of the ages? Why therefore do we not reject every care of earthly actions and prepare ourselves for the meeting of the Lord Christ, so that he may draw us from the confusion, which overwhelms all the world? Believe you me, dearest brother, because the coming (advent) of the Lord is nigh, believe you me, because the end of the world is at hand, believe me, because it is the very last time.

Nothing here speaks of death as being the way out unless you think he was advocating suicide, He says "the Lord Christ...He may draw us" again the Greek term "Harpazo" can be seen clearly.

No where does this advocate death unless you believe he was advocating suicide or that Jesus meets each of us as we die and takes us to heaven. It says He was coming to snatch us and draw us those clearly reflect Paul's teaching of a "Harpazo" and they saw it as prior to the Tribulation.

7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

That the problem OR believes pre-tribbers march in step. He continually associates that Darby taught a "Parenthesis Vhuirch" yet now he says he didn't say Darby did. Yet I found several instances where He saidthose exct words. The only references I find to the "parentheis Church" were used as analogies (illustration) to explain the Peak to Peak that the prophets saw with a valley in between. Both analogies for the mystery of the church not being seen by the O.T. prophets. Clearly Paul in Ephesians 3 taught of the dispensation of Grace which had been a mystery to the O.T. prophets.

Scripture clearly shows it yet many refuse to believe it.

8. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He didn't say that Darby taught a 'parenthesis view' only that his dispensational view is the father of that view. It is a direct out cropping of his teaching, which is exactly what I was taught in Bible College.

Feel free to quote where he said Darby taught that view, since you said you have found several instances where he said those exact words. I'm going to assume those exact words are that "Darby taught a Parenthesis view".

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Post #36 "The Apostle Peter on the Second Coming of Our LORD"
    He stated "Peter's point is that the pre-trib-"snatching away" of the so-called "parenthesis" Church is fiction created by the mind of a convalescing John Nelson Darby; a false, pernicious doctrine which has seduced millions of people in this country, just as Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventism, and Christian Science have!"

I think we can all see this one let me repost just that portion so there will be no doubt "the so-called "parenthesis" Church is fiction created by the mind of a convalescing John Nelson Darby."

I believe he definitely said it.

10. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More context of that quote for those who would like to have more information.

People can decide for themselves what he is talking about, but they should be given enough evidence to make an informed decision.
    Link for anyone that wants even more context.

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is interesting to me that those opposed to pre-millennial point to the Early Church Fathers as "proof" positive that no one believed it. History is always a function of what happened, the interpretation of what happened, and who controlled the transmission of that interpretation. That's a bunch of "ifs".

First, how many early generation copies of their writings do we have? Do we know there's no corruption to satisfy someone else's belief later regardless of what the earlier belief was?

Second, how many times have even well-intentioned Christians misinterpreted or misapplied prophetic scripture to their specific time? Weren't there people at the end of the first millennium ready for the end of the 1000 year reign of Christ when Satan was to be unleashed?

Lastly and most importantly, imagine that the circumstances of communication, civilization, and communication were the same today as then. If the "beliefs" of "all" Christians over the past 100 years were ONLY derived by the 100 most prominent writers from the most powerful church that calls itself "Christian" and then only from those who lived in areas that were not subsequently overrun by another religion, what would people 1500 years from now think we believed?

The Church Fathers are not without value. They certainly help us understand the development of doctrine and church history. But to say something that can be derived from the scriptures either was not previously believed or is false because of an absence of authority from the fathers... doesn't hold water. And remember that many of these citations come before any real form of systematic theology.

The belief in salvation by grace through faith as we understand it was virtually lost for centuries during the middle ages. Did that mean no one believed it or that it is false?

My zeal on this issue when it comes to condemning other views is greatly tempered by the fact that the most learned and devout Jews who memorized the OT and studied messianic prophecy as a career.... missed Jesus because He wasn't what they were expecting.

12. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

If you don't give a link don't expect everyone to accept your word. I sure don't!

13. OldRegular

The post reads as follows:

The object of the initial verb "is": "that the pre-trib-"snatching away" of the so-called "parenthesis" Church is fiction"

The subject of the clause is "the pre-trib-"snatching away"!

A prepositional phrase "of the so-called "parenthesis" Church" defines what is snatched away.

The verb is "is".

The object is "fiction".

The semantic smay be poor but that sentence does not say that Darby is the father of the "parenthesis" Church. I have made the point on numerous occasions that the doctrine of the "parenthesis" Church was taught by people like Chafer, Ryrie, and Ironside. {http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=99519}

And then there is the following from a thread from 2012:
    No mention of Darby as the father of the "parenthesis" Church!

#93 OldRegular, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  14. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

You stated "created by the mind of a convalescing John Nelson Darby" what did you say "created by the mind of a convalescing John Nelson Darby".

First how is "Peter's point is that the pre-trib-"snatching away" of the so-called "parenthesis" Church" referring to anything that you say was not taught at that time?
    Next how was Peter showing that the teaching "is fiction created by the mind of a convalescing John Nelson Darby;"
    Finally how is that all this is "a false, pernicious doctrine which has seduced millions of people in this country," .
    So now explain how all that doesn't show you said that "the pre-trib teaching snatching away" of the so-called "Parenthesis Church" not saying it was all created by Darby. The punctuation doesn't prove it out.

15. OldRegular

Believe what you want. I don't care. You bore false witness for weeks saying there was no such doctrine as a "parenthesis" Church and then "lo and behold" you found it in a valley just like Darby found the pre-trib-"snatching away of the Church in Isaiah 32!

16. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Now you are putting words in my mouth, I said I found it in another writers commentary not in Darby's.

I also said it is not a doctrine but an analogy an illustration just as the peak to peak with a valley is an analogy.

Do you need the definition of analogy to understand how it isn't a doctrinal teaching but an analogy an illustration of the church being a mystery.

Twist and turn as you always do trying to support your doctrinal stance.

I never saw it in the little I've read Darby. Nor in any of the reading I've found as a doctrine, an analogy yes but as part of the doctrine no.

If it is a doctrine find the specific teacher who says it is a doctrine, otherwise you are the one who must believe it to be a doctrine.

17. OldRegular

I did not put words in your mouth. I simply questioned your veracity!

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?::null:

19. OldRegular

Thanks for doing all the research. Obviously you have great zeal for something or other.

It is apparent, assuming the truth of your quotes, that I have been sloppy in my semantics. {You could have easily supplied the source.} However, I will not apologize for those statements which connect Darby to the "parenthesis" church because the concept of the "Parenthesis" Church is the natural outgrowth of the pre-trib-"snatching away" of the Church. I have posted on several occasions the remarks of those men who have espoused the doctrine of the Church as a "parenthesis" or intercalation in GOD's program for Israel.

I would also note that in my initial thread about the "parenthesis" church I did not tie it to Darby but to the pre-trib-dispensational doctrine. The thread, I must add, created a firestorm of pre-trib-fury!
    {http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=80260}

#99 OldRegular, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  20. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simply outstanding.

God bless.