1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

British Sovereignty

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 29, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Ya' got it.

Did ya' already know it, or did ya' 'peek'? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"For C4K and windcatcher who think the US is the only nation that succeeded from the British Empire, I would offer that Canada and some other nations have had some modicum of success, as well. India has some, but is still rather poor, overall, as a nation. ;)

Matt Black is correct that Rhodesia (and a couple of other nations, if memory serves) seceded from what is now known as the United Kingdom, as well.

Technically, I'm not even sure what is the United States actually seceded, but rather revolted against her (then) 'mother land'."

Signed, Language Cop

#22 EdSutton, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I half-knew and half-guessed. But no, no peaking!

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"Peaking? :rolleyes:

And after I'd just complimented him on his spelling skills, no less -

[Sigh!]"

Signed, Language Cop

#24 EdSutton, Aug 1, 2008
  5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

D'oh! What about a Peking duck?

6. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

C4K made no such claim. He questioned my assertion, and my assertion was in error...... And, yes, I was referring to the first European settlements. Unfortunately, the Indians, for the most part, are forgotten.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am not denying they exist. I am stating that the claim to the islands is still disputed. On every map here, the islands are called las Malvinas and they have a little "Arg" next to them.

By the way, the Falklands/Malvinas were originally Argentine and were invaded by the British in 1833. The Birts also tried to capture Buenos Aires in 1806 and 1807 but failed. So one could make a case that they are the agressors. While it was wrong for Argentina to invade the Islands and take Port Stanly, it did appear that Thatcher used the situation as an opportunity to bolst British nationalism and win favor for her new conservative polotics.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Out of curiosity, did you then or do you now even have the first clue of that which I am speaking? I was referring to the improper use of the words "succeed" and "secede".

[Edited to remove attack!]

I do assume C4K "got it", and I know Matt Black did, even though apparently you did not, FTR.

Language Cop, the alter ego of -

Ed

#28 EdSutton, Aug 1, 2008