1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brook's Holifield's "Theology in America"

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Daniel Dunivan, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

I was wondering if anyone has read Holifield's new book. It is generally agreed by American religious scholars that this book will become a central book in the telling of US religious history. As I stated in an answer to a question in another forum, Holifield sees American religious history as about two major things (either in the affirmative or in the negative): Calvinism and Scottish Common Sense Realism.

I was wondering if someone might have read this book and had any reactions. Do you think that the bulk of American religious history can be bound to these two terms? Any others that you would add?

Grace and Peace, Danny [​IMG]

2. Daniel Dunivan

What I think the book does do is escape the typical (and quite unhelpful) traditional terms of "liberal" and "conservative." However, would the term "individualism" be another term appropriate for Holifield? Or is this contained in Scottish Common Sense Realism?

3. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Danny

Haven't read the book, but it sounds interesting. Care to give more of a detailed book review?

Jeff

4. Daniel Dunivan

I'll try to work something up. One of the persons in my Ph.D. seminar on American Church History is writing the book review for "The Westminster Theological Journal" and the professor is writing one for someone (I think for the American Society of Church History--their journal is "Church History").

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bruce Kuklick, Nichols Professor of History, University of Pennsylvania, writing in BOOKS & CULTURE