1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Buddhism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Oct 24, 2014.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are certainly not talking about Japanese Buddhists here--nor Thai, nor Chinese, etc. Maybe you are talking about American converts to Buddhism? :flower:

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right as far as it goes. Your assessment of Buddhist thinking is correct. However, the Gospel is just as powerful when given to a Buddhist as when given to anyone else. Evan could give the pure Gospel to a Buddhist without getting into the theology, and do much good.

Remember Rom. 1:16--"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thanks John. I have no clue how to witness to one but am open. How would I find a Buddhist temple to write in the Denver metro area? Do you know of any? I am so used to sending letters to the false teachers I have not hit the other religions much. Thanks...

4. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last I checked Buddhism was the most popular religion in Japan. Sometime compare things like the crime rate compared to this Christian nation. Sometime ride the subway and notice how everyone is calm, quiet, and respectful, then ask yourself if it would be the same in New York.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suggest that you simply give the Gospel and let the Holy Spirit convict of sin. Buddhism has no real concept of sin, yet all people struggle under the burden of sin, feel guilt, and want forgiveness. I have never had a Buddhist tell me he was sinless, and I have never had a Buddhist tell me a remedy for sin.

I also suggest that you stay away from Buddhist doctrine, since (1) it is complicated for an outsider to understand; (2) it differs according to the sect and its sutras. For example, Zen (Chan in Chinese) is quite different from Pure Land.

6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I see. How do I find a Buddhist place of worship in Denver? I may have to use the yellow pages. Wife says in Mongolia they sometimes will curse someone with a powerful devil to torment them. As Christians I doubt such a thing can happen but I am not sure.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I lived and ministered in Japan from 1981 to July of this year. Please don't try to lecture me about the country. Concerning Buddhism, almost all Japanese claim to be Buddhist, but it is only ceremonies to them. They don't know the teachings of Buddhism. A Japanese pilot for JAL, the son of a Buddhist priest, once told me I should take my family back to America and not raise my son in Japan because the Japanese are the most avaricious of peoples. This man knew true Buddhism, and assured me that the Japanese do not obey it. Again, I once asked a priest's wife what the sutra on the stand next to the huge gold Buddha meant. She didn't know. Few do.

Concerning the crime rate, it is far higher than the propaganda you have read. Believe me, I know. For example, domestic violence is almost never prosecuted in Japan (unless a death occurs), but is a major part of American crime statistics. Also, child molestation and rape are other crimes seldom prosecuted, due to the shame culture. Again, the yakuza (Japanese mafia) constitute the largest criminal population in the world. (I have direct knowledge of the yakuza, having seen three of them come to Christ.) To put it plainly, Japanese crime statistics are a lie.

Again, I've ridden Japanese trains 100s of times, so please don't lecture me about that. Try riding a Japanese train down in Tokyo (or any other major city) during rush hour and try to find the milk of human kindness then! Why then are they calm and quiet on the trains? They are ignoring anyone who is not a part of their group, especially if they are a foreigner. (The society is based on the humanist, relationship-oriented philosophy of Confucianism.) The Japanese may be the most bigoted, racist country in Asia.

#67 John of Japan, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea how to find a Buddhist temple in Denver. Sorry.

9. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I for sure haven't been there and can only go on what my coworker has told me, who just got back from a stint over there, including Tokyo.

As for crime, apparently stuff like grand theft auto is very low. Shops would leave a lot of stuff out in the street at night, which would be guaranteed to be ripped off over here. Younger girls would travel long distances, alone, at night, which would be unheard of here.

As for the trains, from what I hear at least for the most part there is this very strict etiquette about riding them. Nobody talks on cell phones for example.

As for foreigners, he apparently got treated like a rock star. Go into a club to meet girls and American men supposedly have it VERY easy. Go into a shop and the owners try to give you a small gift. Even on the trains, the etiquette of silence was broken once the passengers realized there was an American on board, talking to him and excitedly asking questions when that is normally not something they would do on the rural trains.

So, I dunno, no I haven't been there but you and him give very different reports.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, where will you take your auto after you steal it? The country is too crowded so car thieves are quickly caught. However, "bosozoku" and "yakuza" gangs will steal items out of cars, so keep your car locked. Teen girls walk by themselves to the "love hotels" where they practice a form of prostitution called enjokosai (subsidized dating). Stuff left out at night is not usually stolen, but there is a huge industry in various monetary crimes: extortion (by yakuza), bribery of politicians (by everyone), embezzlement, etc.
    That's a concept which is part of their Confucian ethic wherein you do not cause "meiwaku" (inconvenience) to others.

Newbie foreigners are often treated this way. There are various factors involved, including the Japanese hobby of English (many have this hobby) and the typical desire of most Asians to visit America. So it's a thrill for them to meet an American.
    Yeah, I was there 33 years and he was...how long was it? A year, maybe two? And does he speak or read Japanese? (I am fluent.)

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For anyone interested in the real Japan, here is a website showing some of the recent crimes in the headlines: http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime

I find the idea that Buddhism somehow produces peace and self-control to be not only wrong-headed but ridiculous to anyone who deals with Buddhists on a regular basis. The truth is that Japan and other Buddhist countries are very stress-filled. I had a Japanese doctor tell me that one of the main medical problems in Japan is stress-related disease. This is why alcohol and alcoholism are so rampant in that country. I've even heard of whiskey at PTA meetings!

In Yokohama my wife taught some Japanese ladies who had a young American friend who had visited there to learn Zen Buddhism, and was living and training in a Zen temple. During meditation the priests would walk behind the adherents and clobber them with a bamboo sword if they started to nod off. The young man had a nervous breakdown and had to return to America! :jesus:

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Looks like good guidelines for anyone.

13. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

One way to find out. :tongue3:

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::laugh:

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are several things wrong with this rosy, idealistic picture of a wicked religion.

1. Gautama (called "the Buddha") was not a good man. He abandoned his family to seek "enlightenment." Therefore, Buddhism has very little to say about a good family life. Most Asian concepts of the family are based on Confucianism.

2. Gautama was arrogant, claiming to be "better than the gods" of India. He claimed he was enlightened and only stayed on earth to lead others to "enlightenment."

3. Gautama was an atheist. Buddhism is in its original form atheistic. It became a religion because people started worshipping Gautama himself. In Japan it became a religion of ancestor worship. Thus in all of its forms it is a religion of idolatry, breaking the first two commands of the Decalogue. Therefore it is an extremely wicked religion.

I have seen the devastation Buddhism causes in families and individual lives. I have witnessed or just talked to 100s of Buddhists. Don't be deceived. It is wicked.

#75 John of Japan, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There a couple of serious errors in this portrayal of Buddhism, making Crabtownboy's knowledge and/or source suspect.

First of all, Buddhism is not a non-theistic religion. Gautama (Buddha) himself became the god, and he is without fail worshipped in all forms of Buddhism. I've seen many varieties of these idols throughout Japan: the jizo child Buddha for children to worship, the Kannon Buddha holding a baby, etc. I have seen Buddhists bow and pray to his idols countless times.

"Buddha the Gospel," by Paul Carus, begins: "REJOICE at the glad tidings! The Buddha our Lord has found the root of all evil; he has shown us the way of salvation. The Buddha dispels the illusions of our mind and redeems us from the terror of death." Gautama is called in this document (not a "holy book") "the Teacher of Gods." This is Buddhist belief.

Secondly, Crabtownboy errs in that there is no such thing as "Taoist Buddhism." Taoism is a separate philosophy/religion which has little in common with Buddhism except that they both teach monism, the Asian belief that the body and soul can become one.

One more thing. Buddhism is not properly delineated by country as Crabtownboy has done. It is usually referred to by sect: Zen (Japanese; Chinese is Chan), Pure Land, etc.

17. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#77 Crabtownboy, Oct 30, 2014
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is debatable as to whether he considered himself a Hindu. His teachings are quite different from Hinduism, and he apparently did not revere the Hindu deities. As to whether he wished to start a new religion, to say he did not is extrapolating modern thinking into his life and thought, about which we know very little. His disciples did not write down the oral traditions until hundreds of years after he died. In contrast, the very first generation of Christ's disciples wrote down His teachings.
    Thanks for the humble response.
    It does go by that term, and is thus an anomaly in Buddhism. However, the title Tibetan Buddhism is somewhat of a misnomer, since it is practiced in a much wider area than just Tibet, and is even spreading more because of the current Dalai Lama.

#78 John of Japan, Oct 30, 2014
  19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, don't take life--not even a fly or a mosquito. That will sure elevate mankind. (Buddha and Buddhism actually leave out the term "sentient" and thus true Buddhists--of which there are few--are vegetarians.) :rolleyes:

Buddhism also teaches inaction, since you are striving for enlightenment and not love. Therefore, the only Buddhist charities are copies of Christian charities. The first Japanese charity was started by the Empress Komyo (8th century) who embraced Nestorian Christianity. It was 1000 years before another charity came to be. The first modern medical clinic was started in the 1860s by Hepburn, a Christian missionary.

It's a terrible religion.

#79 John of Japan, Oct 30, 2014
  20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is really not a religion, a sit does not address if there is a personal God, nor does it revere Buddha as being liek we do jesus as a saviour, more akin to ine dhowing us the path/way to do good and avoid Reincarnation, so maybe like a japanese spin on Confusicinism?