1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Building a Website

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by swordsman, Aug 28, 2002.

1. swordsman

swordsman New Member

I am new to this so the terms used are all greek to me.
    I am considering building a site for my church,are there any books or web sites for a beginner that you reccommend?
    Or any advice that any of you would feel is worthwhile, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you've never built a web site before:

The first thing I would recommend is look at other web sites. Get ideas. Sketch out what you think the web site should like like on paper.

Whenever you see a site you like, use your Menu Bar (up there where it says File, Edit, View, etc.) and click on View, then click on Source. If you're using Internet Explorer, this will open a Notepad window. Save the file to look at later.

(note: while most pages are not copyrighted, blatant "stealing" of code is frowned upon. I suggest the above as reference material, not as a means to creating your web site)

Second, find a reference book only. Something that tells you what the html tags (like <font> and <b>) stand for, and what all you can use in them (like <font size="4" color="navy">). You actually don't need this for the final suggestion I'm going to make.

Once you've got those things (an idea of how you want your site to look, source code of pages with stuff you like, and a reference book to help you decipher the tags--if you want the reference book), then you'll be able to start with something.

For your first attempts, I suggest that you either use Tripod or one of the other free sites that have web page builder "wizards"; or, obtain Front Page or some other WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) web page creator software. This will help you practice lay-outs, etc.

Since you've admitted that you're new to this, I don't recommend trying to code from HTML; get the reference book only to help you understand what's going on in the background.

Once you have all that, let us know, and we'll advise from there.

3. LindaB

LindaB New Member

I just finished writing an ebook on the basics of web & graphic design, with several chapters specifically on church design, email me I will send you a free copy.
    it also covers html editors,graphic programs,hosting, domain names, search engines, has loads of info for the beginner
    Linda
    ChristianGraphicDesign.com

4. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Beginer place and best of all it is a Christian hosted, Christian Free Website.
    Free Site !
    In Christ David

6. swordsman

swordsman New Member

I thank all of you very much for the links and advice, I'm now have somewhere to start.
    Thanks again, Swordsman ( Hugh )