1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Building up the body

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Helen, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the only thing that I didn't like about CARM. I couldn't spend any time rationally discussing anything because I was constantly trying to refute the bible "contradictions" that the atheists kept spouting off.

There is a book somewhere that has a list of bible "contradictions". I can't remember the name of it. That's where they get this stuff and the anti-bible commentaries that they get from it is the only place that they get any scripture. And it's all twisted.

It used to drive me crazy. When I came to the realization that they did not WANT to know the truth is when I left.

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

And so now you're here driving us crazy :thumbs:

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have read a number of those postings and discussed those things in person with people. I have also Emailed some of those people and had ongoing discussions with them. You are right the majority keep going the same way even when confronted with the truth. I have experienced the same things with Mormons who have told me that I am right but just move on out of duty to the Mormon Church. What I have noticed is that they like most Christians settle for an easy explanation. The majority of Christians have been taught that the Bible fits together like a puzzle. So when confronted with something that appears contradictory they are overwhelmed and do not have an explanation. The explanation lies in the history and purpose behind the writing. All scripture must be interpreted in light of its historical context.

There have been times when I visited a church they will be discussing a passage of scripture and the Sunday School teacher will ask something like what does it mean to you. The passage has nothing to do with what it means to me. It is not subject to my interpretation. The question should be, "What does it mean?" or "What is the correct interpretation?"

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The beautiful thing is that it can be seen both ways, thereby leaving little doubt as to the meanings of things. Context can point to language or language can point to context, and when they support each other, there is no room for doubt as to what's being said.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

[​IMG]
    I tirelessly and passionately take it to be my life's mission. :rolleyes:

6. ituttut

ituttut New Member

As we see here, it all comes down to what we believe is the correct interpretation, and not the other. This board wouldn't have lasted 2 days if everyone believed just as you or I.

I believe the teacher could be correct for they could learn from you, or be honing their skill as a teacher, or endeavor to have input from the class to keep up interest, and would like to know your thoughts on the matter.

If the question is Christ Jesus our Lord, the interpretation is made for us, without further study if we believe. But if discussion, or lesson is on Soteriology, Ecclesiology, Pneumatology, etc., many may disagree.

The Bible will have the interpretation for us, but we must be able to interpret correctly as we divide His Word to arrive at what is interpreted for us. It is all there for us, but we have to find it for it to have meaning to us. I believe perhaps this is why a teacher asks, what does it mean to us.

#66 ituttut, Sep 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2006
  7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Amen to that.