1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Burleson makes his decision.........

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Grasshopper, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

After listening to the advice of many people, visiting at length with my wife, and both requesting and receiving from the Lord a peace in my spirit regarding my decision, I am ready to take what I believe to be the next appropriate step in my service on behalf of the Southern Baptist Convention at the International Mission Board.

There will be a motion to the Southern Baptist Convention in Greensboro, North Carolina requesting messengers to authorize the Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention to appoint an Ad Hoc Committee in order to to listen to, view evidence of, and possibly investigate further, five concerns involving the International Mission Board.

That this Committee listen to, view evidence of, and possibly investigate further, five concerns involving the International Mission Board which are not limited to, but include:

(1). The manipulation of the nominating process of the Southern Baptist Convention during the appointment of trustees for the International Mission Board.
    (2). Attempts to influence and/or coerce the IMB trustees, staff, and administration to take a particular course of action by one or more Southern Baptist agency heads other than the President of the International Mission Board.
    (3). The appropriate and/or inappropriate use of Forums and Executive Sessions of the International Mission Board as compared to conducting business in full view of the Southern Baptist Convention and the corresponding propriety and/or impropriety of the Chairman of the International Mission Board excluding any individual trustee, without Southern Baptist Convention approval, from participating in meetings where the full International Mission Board is convened.
    (4). The legislation of new doctrinal requisites for eligibility to serve as employees or missionaries of the IMB beyond the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message.
    (5). The suppression of dissent by trustees in the minority through various means by those in the majority, and the propriety of any agency forbidding a trustee, by policy, from publicly criticizing a Board approved action; and

That this Committee follow the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message Statement in regard to theological issues, and operate within the Constitution and Bylaws of the Southern Baptist Convention; and

That to accomplish the Committee's work all the trustees, officers, employees, and administrators of the International Mission Board, shall fully cooperate with the Committee to accomplish the purposes outlined in this motion; and

This Committee shall report on the progress of its work to the Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention and the International Mission Board; and

That the Ad Hoc Committee make its final report and recommendation to the June 2007 Southern Baptist Convention and request that it be discharged."

http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They may okay that resolution. In fact, I think they need to look into how the whole issue was handled. But I'm not sure about how the resolution is worded. But we can't just say, "Okay, it's over. Let's start over again." There's been too much bad blood.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Doesn't the whole thing just smack of a parallel with insider training too much?

4. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

It looks like he wants to try to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. It's a noble objective but the SBC seems to be irreversibly committed to its present course of excluding everyone who doesn't agree with those who have usurped power.