1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bush bill suppresses funding for students and appropriates $2m for presidential yacht

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by corinne, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ah, the good old days, when only Indians roamed the wilderness and the white man was a future intruder, who would rape the land with his factories and plows.

Let's face it PaJim, we've always lived in a changing world and it's only the people being affected in their little present time slot who complain bitterly about losing their status quo.

Build a Bridge and Get over it!

2. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Wow, clever line, Hardsheller.

I think that without manufacturing, we're in a bad spot.

3. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Give me statistics PaJim. Numbers Please?

How many manufacturing plants have closed in your state in the last year? How many new ones have opened?

How many in the 50 states?

I don't think it's time to cry wolf just yet. We're in a global economy whether you and rest of the Bush Bashers believe it or not.

We'll never go back to the good old days you refer to. And I'm not so sure I'd want to anyway. I remember my dad working 6 days a week for peanuts in one of your wonderful factories. He was elated that I didn't have to work in the same pit that he spent 45 years in.

4. Pennsylvania Jim

Hardsheller, I don't have alot of numbers off the top of my head. But if you haven't noticed factories closing, you've been asleep. The textile industry in the south has been devastated. The steel industry has been devastated. Electronics is rarely produced in the US, and design work is rapidly being shifted overseas also. Bicycles. Toys. Furniture.

2.7 million manufacturing jobs lost since Bush took office. I'm not blaming it ALL on him, that's simply a number that comes to mind.

Working 6 days per week for peanuts, as you say, is exactly where the next generation is headed...probably a lot fewer peanuts than your dad made.

5. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Don't talk to me about the Textile Industry. My family has over 150 years work experience in that industry. My first job in High School during Summer Vacation was in a Textile Mill.

The textile industry lifted my family out of poverty during the great depression and provided a financial footing for my father to send three kids to college so they wouldn't have to work in a cotton mill.

And If I do say so myself, us three lintheads haven't done to badly in the mean old cruel world.

There is more opportunity in this country today than there was when I graduated from college or got out of the Army.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Corinne's concern for the people of the United States is really touching. [​IMG]

7. Pennsylvania Jim

So, the "big boys" selling off the mills to the Chinese for pennies on the dollar to buy vacation homes doesn't bother you?

8. Pennsylvania Jim

Corinne's concern for the people of the United States is really touching. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Note that I defended the presidential yacht.

Having said that, I'd say that you shouldn't confuse Mr. and Mrs. Bush for "the people of the United States".