1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bush Expected to Veto 'Hate Crimes' Bill

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200705/POL20070503d.html

Bush Expected to Veto 'Hate Crimes' Bill
    By Randy Hall

CNSNews.com Staff Writer/Editor
    May 03, 2007

EXCERPT

(CNSNews.com) - President Bush looks likely to veto a "hate crimes" bill under debate in the U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday if it is approved by Congress. Conservatives quickly responded by thanking the president for upholding "our nation's constitutional tradition of equal protection under the law."

"The administration favors strong criminal penalties for violent crime, including crime based on personal characteristics, such as race, color, religion or national origin," according to a statement released by the Executive Office of the President, and forwarded by Concerned Women for America.

"However, the administration believes that H.R. 1592 is unnecessary and constitutionally questionable," the release stated. "If H.R. 1592 were presented to the president, his senior advisors would recommend that he veto the bill. The sentence containing the veto reference was underlined in the statement.

2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Good.

Last I checked, there weren't any violent crimes that were crimes of love. (Passion, maybe.)

If this bill passes, expect the thought police to show up on your doorstep the next time you preach against homosexuality, etc.

The Patriot Act was bad enough. We don't need to compound the problem.

4. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Amen!

With respect to homosexuality the goal - with considerable support within government - remains to forcefully make it acceptable and protected conduct. The real hate is being directed towards God and His followers. Those that advocate homosexuality can't stand the fact that God said it was very wrong. They want His record changed to reflect how they believe it should be. Making any expression against homosexuality a matter of "hate" is a tool towards being able to use the force of law to squelch that expression.

5. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

With respect to homosexuality :eek:

6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Abso-tootin-lootly.

Seems the credence society places on homosexuality is an indicator of the stage of collapse of that culture. (sorry. poorly worded)

#6 hillclimber1, May 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2007
  7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Yikes! One can never be too careful about the unintended but implied meaning of words and phrases!

Perhaps, "With disrespect to homosexuality ..." would have been more literally correct but I wouldn't want to infer hatefulness by the word "disrespect"!

So how about: "The goal of homosexual advocates - with considerable support within government - remains to forcefully make it acceptable and protected conduct."?

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The thing about it is that homosexuality is already "accepted" by the government.

They want to be thought police and force individuals to not only accept it, but embrace it!

9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Yes, and they also what to teach our children and grandchildren that's it okay - just an alternate lifestyle - to make sure they're primed to rebel against all they've been taught. May the Lord help us to keep the truth in their hearts.

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I wish we had a President who could harbor an original thought.

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Unconstitutional Legislation Threatens Freedoms [By Ron Paul]

May 7, 2007

Last week, the House of Representatives acted with disdain for the Constitution and individual liberty by passing HR 1592, a bill creating new federal programs to combat so-called “hate crimes.” The legislation defines a hate crime as an act of violence committed against an individual because of the victim’s race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. Federal hate crime laws violate the Tenth Amendment’s limitations on federal power. Hate crime laws may also violate the First Amendment guaranteed freedom of speech and religion by criminalizing speech federal bureaucrats define as “hateful.”

There is no evidence that local governments are failing to apprehend and prosecute criminals motivated by prejudice, in comparison to the apprehension and conviction rates of other crimes. Therefore, new hate crime laws will not significantly reduce crime. Instead of increasing the effectiveness of law enforcement, hate crime laws undermine equal justice under the law by requiring law enforcement and judicial system officers to give priority to investigating and prosecuting hate crimes. Of course, all decent people should condemn criminal acts motivated by prejudice. But why should an assault victim be treated by the legal system as a second-class citizen because his assailant was motivated by greed instead of hate?

HR 1592, like all hate crime laws, imposes a longer sentence on a criminal motivated by hate than on someone who commits the same crime with a different motivation. Increasing sentences because of motivation goes beyond criminalizing acts; it makes it a crime to think certain thoughts. Criminalizing even the vilest hateful thoughts--as opposed to willful criminal acts--is inconsistent with a free society.

HR 1592 could lead to federal censorship of religious or political speech on the grounds that the speech incites hate. Hate crime laws have been used to silence free speech and even the free exercise of religion. For example, a Pennsylvania hate crime law has been used to prosecute peaceful religious demonstrators on the grounds that their public Bible readings could incite violence. One of HR 1592’s supporters admitted that this legislation could allow the government to silence a preacher if one of the preacher’s parishioners commits a hate crime. More evidence that hate crime laws lead to censorship came recently when one member of Congress suggested that the Federal Communications Commission ban hate speech from the airwaves.

Hate crime laws not only violate the First Amendment, they also violate the Tenth Amendment. Under the United States Constitution, there are only three federal crimes: piracy, treason, and counterfeiting. All other criminal matters are left to the individual states. Any federal legislation dealing with criminal matters not related to these three issues usurps state authority over criminal law and takes a step toward turning the states into mere administrative units of the federal government.

Because federal hate crime laws criminalize thoughts, they are incompatible with a free society. Fortunately, President Bush has pledged to veto HR 1592. Of course, I would vote to uphold the president’s veto. ​

12. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I pray we could have a President who harbors the thoughts of Christ given in His word. Originality does not make good leadership. Following God's word brings the blessings! Pro-life, liberating the oppressed, meeting the needs of the poor, providing equal opportunity for all.

God Bless! :thumbs:

13. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Hmmm...I must have missed those qualifications for President in the Constitution.

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Christian voting is not first and foremost about the President. God will place into power whom He pleases. My Christian vote is about me. It is I who will give a personal account for my deeds. Did I do my part biblically to give a Christlike attempt to elect a man who upholds God's moral laws. Did I vote for a pro-murderer for example. Will God accept a "lesser of two evils" argument. I think not. Any candidate who flat out opposses a moral value of our God's should not be considered from a Christian perspective. Let the lost vote them in and let the lost give their own account for it one day. Christians should know better and I believe many do but have become just like the lost caught up into towing party lines rather than holding their vote accountable to God.

God Bless!

15. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

This reminds me of a song:

"I'm coming back to the heart of worship,
    It's all about me, all about me, Jesus.
    I'm sorry, Lord, if You can't understand that
    It's all about me, all about me, Jesus."

:laugh:

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :confused:

Here is my full quote, i don't think it is talking about worshipping me :thumbs: ..........

"My Christian vote is about me. It is I who will give a personal account for my deeds. Did I do my part biblically to give a Christlike attempt to elect a man who upholds God's moral laws. Did I vote for a pro-murderer for example. Will God accept a "lesser of two evils" argument. I think not."

God Bless! :wavey:

17. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why can't you treat him as a brother in Christ? He sometimes doesn't communicate his thoughts that well, but he makes sound decisions and is unaffected by poles and liberal rantings. Compare his GPA in college with your former favorite, Algore.

18. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Al Gore was never a favorite of mine.

As far as Bush's Christianity, it's all well and good. He governs like someone who hasn't a clue, though, and that is what I address.

19. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Funny how narrowly you apply the principle, there.

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not funny at all. Context is everything. :thumbs:

Maybe I should have structured my sentence better. As, my Christian vote is about me, who will give a personal account for my deeds.

I think most everyone still knows the meaning of what I fully posted.

God Bless! :wavey:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.