1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bush Speaks Out on God & Islam

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Monergist, Oct 27, 2004.

1. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

It seems some demand perfection in everyone, Larry. Anyone who doesn't meet the stringent standard is deemed unworthy. And, it must be observed, no one meets the stringent standard.

Kind of reminds me of those guys Jesus used to argue with all the time...

2. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Look at Bush's statement again:

Two things I see wrong with what he says. One is implied, the other is directly stated. Implied is a works salvation. That's bad theology and bad theology isn't going to stop me from voting for someone. I'm still trying to weed out bad theology from my own thinking.

The other problem that I see is far worse. It's idolatry. It's recognizing a 'god' who is no 'God' at all. God's word condemns it as strongly as murder, adultery, stealing, etc. But for some reason we can't see that...

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

we arent voting in a pastor here. I just cant vote for someone who wants to abort children and raise my taxes. Religion aside. Its about who can run the country better, not about religion. But if one candidate says he prays about his decisions, and the other makes fun of him for doing so (in a Time magazine article) then that sums it up for me.
    I wish he had not said that about the god of Islam. Christians know that we do not pray to the same God. I dont know if he was trying to be politacally correct or dodge the issue, or if he really thinks that. But it doesnt change my vote one bit.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Who doesn't see that?

5. Pete

Pete New Member

Pastor Larry, some people here (not yourself I quickly add) don't seem to think they are electing a pastor, they seem to ascribe an almost "papal infallibility" to Mr Bush...(I have a name or two in mind of people who will get very defensive at that line ;) Will see if I'm right [​IMG] ) Although it could be understood why some would think they are electing a pastor when the man keeps trying to give doctrinal statements...and failing miserably :(

To borrow your burning house analogy, it is terrible that people feel they have to vote for someone who won't burn the house down quite as fast, rather than for someone who will put the fire out and repair the damage :(

I visited friends I met on 'net in USA back in Y2K. There are much better people over there than all candidates combined. I pray one day someone of that calibre will get in there....

Same situation here in Oz.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It is a sad situation, but the ones who can actually put the fire out are not currently electable. So we need to try to contain the fire until such time as adequate help can arrive. Containment is a good idea when there is no better, realistic alternative.

7. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

I'd go for containment. Voting for Bush is throwing gas on the fire.

8. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

How do you "contain the fire" by electing the one who has been lighting the fire for the past four years?

[​IMG]

9. Pennsylvania Jim

Yeah. How can you claim to know someone, yet not even be able to distinguish them from someone who is not even similar?

Sorry, but I knew the difference between Jesus Christ and Allah the microsecond that I was saved.

Bush's statement does not reflect a lack of study, it reflects a lack of knowledge of God.

10. Pennsylvania Jim

Check out Bush's website by clicking the banner. Look at his official agenda. Notice that out of all the detailed topics, abortion is not even on the agenda. As to taxes, I don't think he intends to pay for his wild spending spree (dwarfing Clinton, even without the Iraq billions) from the Bush family fortunes made dealing with the Saudis.

I know you may have not meant that the way is sounds, yet it is a common mistake that the president runs the country. That's because people like Bush and Kerry talk as though they do. They are only supposed to run the business of the administration, which is way less than the power that they usurp. Another reason that I can't vote for Bush or Kerry.

If someone does something bad or idiotic, repeatedly, such as spending our childrens' future on soialistic programs, or federalizing education, and claim that it is the result of prayer, they should be laughed at...or better yet, thrown out on election day. What a disgrace.

I agree, Christians know better.

11. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

12. Pennsylvania Jim

I wish Tater Tot would respond. It seems that there is a certain number of folks on the BB who will argue with you until they can't think of anythying to refute you, then instead of saying "maybe you have a point", they simply disappear. Maybe that's now what's happening here, but it sure looks like it.

13. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

No, PJ, I don't think that "maybe you have a point". You havent changed my opinion one iota, nor have I yours. And thats OK, we are a free country. Glad to see you arent voting Kerry!

14. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Oh, and I wasnt avoiding the discussion. Just havent been popping here.
    Have a great day! [​IMG]