1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Busy Sunday Schedule

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gib, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Gib

Gib Active Member

Sunday Schedule:

8:30 am Deacons and Staff meet
    9:30 am Open Assembly
    9:45 am Bible Study
    10:50 am Morning Worship
    12:30 am Go home

4:00 pm Choir(s) & Missions meet
    5:00 pm Bible Study
    6:00 pm Evening Worship
    7:00 pm Committee Mtgs

At times the Sunday schedule can be overwhelming for the church goer. Many feel that Sunday is not a day of rest. We basically have 4 Bible studies and/or services in one day. Wednesday Night schedules range 3-4 hours. Some members would be willing to spread responsibilities and opportunities over the course of the week. Others value their off time during the week. I can see how both sides feel.

How are you handling all your weekly opportunities?

[ February 26, 2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Gib ]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. I get tired just LOOKING at what you go through each Sunday! :eek:

Our Sundays at a typical baptist church are NOT in any way parallel to the "Sabbath" of Judaism. Their's was truly a "rest". :rolleyes:

Ours (obviously) is not! It is a time of instruction and fellowship and worship - probably more akin to the 3-time yearly feasts in Jerusalem. Part joyous corporate worship and part family reunion!

Sounds like my church last Sunday! :cool:

3. Wow, you live your Sundays to the fullest.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, it's tough, I know.

I am on the worship council and we are having a 6-week Bible study on true worship by Henry Blackeby.

Last Sunday, we discussed this very issue of the Sabbath and keeping it holy. We sadly, could find no answer to your question of the "business" of the church interfering with the worship of the church. The members of the committee have decided to make it a matter of prayer to find the answer.

It's sorely needed.

I am sure that it is a serious issue for many christians.

Here's my weekly Sunday and Wednesday schedule.

Sunday morning:
    </font>
    • 8:30 - 9:00 Go over service with minister of music. (I am the pianist.)</font>
    • 9:00 - 9:15 Rehearse special music with soloists</font>
    • 9:15 - 10:15 Teach Sunday School to senior adults.</font>
    • 10:15 - 10:30 Rehearse with choir.</font>
    • 10:30 - 12:00 Worship service.</font>

Sunday afternoon/evening:
    </font>
    • 3:30 - 4:30 Worship council.</font>
    • 4:30 - 5:30 Ladie's Trio practice.</font>
    • 5:30 - 6:15 Discipleship Training</font>
    • 6:15 - 6:30 Rehearse with choir.</font>
    • 6:30 - 7:30 Worship service.</font>

Wednesday evenings:
    </font>
    • 6:15 - 7:15 Teach children's choir.</font>
    • 7:30 - 9:00 Adult choir rehearsal.</font>
    Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O. [​IMG]
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sunday is the Lords Day, The Sabbath is still Saturday.

The Sunday Sabbath doctrine is a Catholic idea.

6. Tim

Tim New Member

Dr. Bob's quote:"Our Sundays at a typical baptist church are NOT in any way parallel to the "Sabbath" of Judaism. Their's was truly a "rest". "

--I agree, our bodies do need a weekly rest, and we should attempt to trim down our Sunday schedules to accomodate time for rest and also fellowship with other Christians in their homes.

But as Ben said, let's not confuse Sunday with the Sabbath. As Hebrews 4 explains, the Saturday Sabbath was typological, pointing to a rest from the labours required by the O.T. Law. Christ's sacrifice allowed us to enter into our permanent spiritual rest in Him, no more works necessary --God is satisfied with the work of Christ forever! We are entered into a permanent spiritual Sabbath now. Sunday celebrates that completed work, evidenced by Christ's resurrection. The first day of the week--and our "work" is already over!

Maybe we get too busy to remember that most Sundays.

In Christ,

Tim

7. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Quote--
    =============
    As Hebrews 4 explains, the Saturday Sabbath was typological, pointing to a rest from the labours required by the O.T. Law. Christ's sacrifice allowed us to enter into our permanent spiritual rest in Him, no more works necessary --God is satisfied with the work of Christ forever! We are entered into a permanent spiritual Sabbath now. Sunday celebrates that completed work, evidenced by Christ's resurrection.
    ===========

Exactly, totally, 100% CORRECT!!!!!!

MR

8. Gib

Gib Active Member

Thank You for the Sunday/Sabbath correction. I need to change the topic title.

I Really want to know if your churches cram it all in on Sundays or do you spread your weekly ministries and opportunities throughout the week.

I prefer to do as much as I can on Sundays & Wednesdays. Some at our church would prefer to trim down the Sunday schedule and do some on other days. I'm flexible, but others are not. What works for you? [​IMG]

9. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

well our church is different. sat eve from 6 till about 8. (of course staff are there till 8:30 or 9). sunday bible study from 9 to 10. worship from 10:15 to 11:30 or 11:45. of course staff meet after for 15 or 30 min.
    tuesday night Bible study/ prayer meeting 6to 8 or so. and thurs vivitation program
    plus staff normally do 2 or 3 each visits at other times.

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

For years, Sunday has not been my "Sabbath".

It isn't a "free" day.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you elaborate on why such different times than a "typical" baptist church?

I worked part time with a Messianic Church that did almost the same hours - only on Friday night and Saturday morning. What is the thinking in Arizona that has you on Saturday night/Sunday morning?

Thanks