1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

But maybe the people in Iraq don't Want...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by LadyEagle, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Is your beef with Arabs, or Muslims?

Iraq is unique because they have non-Arabs who want representation (the Kurds, Turkmens, Jews, Armenians, and Assyrians).

So far as religion, about 90% are Muslim of one sort or another. One issue is that Saddam's govt strictly banned Shiites, even though 60% of the Muslims are Shiites. He also banned the Kurds, since, though they're technically Sunni, their culture contains a lot of Christian, Jewish, and secular influence. There are also Nestorians and Jacobites (Christian sect), and Chaldean and Syrian Catholics. What I find of greatest interest is that there is an active Arab Jewish community in Baghdad. They don't make the news much, because (this is a shocker) the Iraq people tend to be quite tolerant of cultural differences, unlke the Muslim Arabs of some other countries in the region.

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the nice post, Johnv! It's just my personal opinion that the Arabs are the source of the current war and that Islam is the cause of their unrest. The Arabs are the half-brothers of the Jews, and they are the most unhappy with their status, although I think that God has kept His promise to them and given them great natural resources. Unfortunately, they have gone off and followed Allah. The Kurds are are best friends over there. For me, it is okay if we just install some sort of government that will be friendly and then pull out of Iraq.