1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Buy a Chick-Fil-A sandwhich today!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Luke, I hadn't read yours. We both said the same thing, didn't we?

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I hadn't seen these websites. My brother-in-law was the first I heard use that wording when we were talking about this whole ridiculous thing. You are welcome to buy me a sandwich or make a donation, I'm sure some charity could use the help.

Symbols are funny what is a beacon of hope to one is a sign of arrogance and oppression.

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Ditto THAT!!!!!!

Scarlett,I obviously edited your comment,but not because I disagree with any of it.Rather I did that just to get to the heart of the matter. I support the Cathey family and the stand they have taken because in this culture it takes guts and real conviction to stick your neck out like that regardless of the cost. We are beginning to see more and more of that as our country "de-volves" into the wickedness of these end-times and I think this is just the "tip of the iceberg".....but what you said above is the "next level" that we as Christians SHOULD naturally and automatically elevate this to. I may or may not get to go and eat (I love Chic-fil-A anyway!:thumbs:). If I don't it will only be because it may be too hot here in SC for my wife and I to be standing in an outdoor line to get in due to health issues. I just wanted to say ......
    AMEN..to what you said!

Bro.Greg Perry Sr.
    Pickens,SC

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Preaching the Gospel is the most important thing we can do for our nation.

Having said that, demonstrating the righteousness of God by publicly supporting stands for righteousness and publicly condemning stands for evil is right and good TOO.

In fact, weakening the hands of those who ARE bringing to bear the righteousness of God upon the collective mind of America like you seem to do in this post is probably a very bad thing.

I'm not so sure it is not a sin to refuse to get behind this movement today if it is actually possible for you to get behind it.

I'm pretty sure it IS a sin to resist it.

And I'm very sure it is sinful to pretend that standing against things that God hates is wrong. I'm very sure that purporting that the only thing Christians should be doing is acting syrupy sweet towards those who knowingly, blatantly, stubbornly rebel against God's righteousness.

I'm for loving homosexuals. I'm against Christians weakening the hands of those who resist homosexuality. I think God is too.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fine line there. Not supporting is okay, maybe. Opposing is sinful. Interesting thoughts though I'm not sure how one would be opposing or "weakening" as you say. Perhaps you could elaborate. Would they have to picket a restaurant, tackle people before they go in or is thinking this whole thing is silly opposition?

I enjoy Chick-Fil-A, but it has nothing to do with any stand they have or haven't made. I happen to think they make a darn good sandwich.

I also think it's ignorant and misleading for the media to act shocked and surprised that the leader of company, well known for closing on Sunday's, founded by an outspoken evangelical believer, has an opinion consistent with beliefs of other evangelicals concerning the issue of homosexuality and the family. Come now media, you knew what the answer would be long before the question was ever asked, by a Baptist newspaper nonetheless.

It's like acting shocked and surprised that a race car driver likes to go fast. As silly as I think this buying thing is, the faux shock by the media is equally as silly.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We (my 18 year old, his buddy and myself) will be showing up hungry after a vigorous weight resistance workout this evening.... And, I’m thinking about going back Friday:

This time wearing my “When all else fails, try reading the Instruction Book (with A picture of the Bible underneath)” T-shirt. :saint:

I just suggested to my son that we go back Friday pumped up physically and spiritually with Bible in hand and do some good ole open air preachin (while we take names for ScarlettO) ;) and he says he’d like to see me do that! :smilewinkgrin:

#26 Benjamin, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
  7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh ... well .... This isn't the first time that a fellow Christian has called me unGodly and sinful and I'm sure it won't be the last.

But brother, I must tell you, there ain't NOBODY who has ever called me "syrupy sweet". :flower:

It's quite unforunate that you put words in my mouth that I didn't say. I'm not going to go back and re-explain it.

Oh, and I really appreciate you telling me that God is against me. :rolleyes:

Where did I say that I was not resisting homosexuality? Where did I say that I was trying to weaken your hand?

I believe that the first thing I said was that I supported people who went to eat at CFA today. My point was - I was very clear - that I just with they would - in mass droves - do more.

#27 Scarlett O., Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::thumbs::applause:

9. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Traffic 2 to 3 miles long both ways on a 4 lane street for between 11:00 and 12:00 oclock today.Been here 41 years and heaviest traffic, excluding Black Friday I have ever seen.
    What a statement for free speech.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You really should reconsider this opinion. There is nothing Biblical or unbiblical about supporting or not buying a chicken sandwich today or any other day.

I do oppose this movement. The time and money would be better spent feeding the poor and needy and sharing the gospel with them. This is a chance to get a fast food fix and a feel good fix at no sacrifice. It has no impact on eternity.

I suppose if buying a chicken sandwich and waffle fries makes one feel spiritual that is okay.
    But don't question the walk with God of those who disagree.

#30 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 1, 2012
  11. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although, I would agree with you that it is going too far to call inaction a sin, I would take objection with much of the rest of your argument that this action should be "opposed".

It is Biblical to stand up for what you believe to be good according to what "you" have been taught and taking into account where you heard it, everyday.

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh. And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.
    (Luk 6:45-49)

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
    (Rom 12:2)

And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
    (Col 3:17)

With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.
    (Eph 6:7-8)

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
    (Pro 3:5-7)

Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the LORD understand all things. Better is the poor that walketh in his uprightness, than he that is perverse in his ways, though he be rich. Whoso keepeth the law is a wise son: but he that is a companion of riotous men shameth his father.
    (Pro 28:5-7)

Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
    (Pro 16:3)

And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
    (Eph 5:11)

He that saith unto the wicked, Thou art righteous; him shall the people curse, nations shall abhor him: But to them that rebuke him shall be delight, and a good blessing shall come upon them. Every man shall kiss his lips that giveth a right answer.
    (Pro 24:24-26)

Your time and efforts would be better spent on opposing the opposition to traditional marriage.

As per the scriptures above, and your fallacy I am about to address, that does not justify sticking one’s head in the sand and not being active against those whose agendas are to conform the values of our society by showing your support for that which is good.

So what??? The idea that supporting a fellow Christian who is under attack for daring to mention that he is favor of tradition marriage must be “inconvenience” or to suggest it is not of value without great personal sacrifice on them does not logically follow. The objective is not to put a burden on yourself it is to support the owner of a company who has spoken out for what is good. Your reasoning that it must be at great personal sacrifice is just silly.

So if showing support is not perfect in every way it should be disregarded? Purely fallacious reasoning:

Once again, let me spell it out for the benefit of those who don’t seem to be able to get the jest of what they are attempting to argue here and are interested in validity in their arguments rather than rhetorical ploys to try to win an argument:

The Perfectionist Fallacy is a particular subspecies of the false dilemma and a common rhetorical ploy. It comes up when a plan or policy is under consideration and it goes like this:

If policy X will not meet our goals as well as we’d like them met (i.e., “perfectly”) then policy X should be rejected.

This principle downgrades policy X simply because it isn’t perfect perfection in meeting the goals. It’s a version of a false dilemma because it says in effect, “Either the policy is perfect, or else we must reject it.” Basic Logic - Critical Thinking, Moore/Parker.

#31 Benjamin, Aug 1, 2012
  12. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sent a donation in your name to the ERLC :tongue3: j/k

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why is this being made into a spiritual matter? The support is political...affirming free speech and rogue mayors who think they can regulate it. Most people today had on USA attire...you would have thought it was July 4th.

14. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I agree with Webdog. This has become a free speech issue. As such I was glad to see the long lines at our local Chik fil a's. No one should be bullied the way Catheys have been for supporting traditional marriage. They didn't even express (that I have seen) an opinion that gays should be prevented from marrying by law. Only that as a company, they supported traditional family units.

They should be allowed their opinion and those who don't like it, should simply buy their chicken sandwiches from McD's. (and McD's is way cheaper!)

15. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Go For The Best

And MY opinion is that the Chic-Fil-A sandwich is waaaaay better!:tongue3:...and definitely worth the $$$$$....not to mention those awesome waffle fries,etc,etc. What a blessing of a day this has been watching folks stand up in support of that which is Biblical and right! Amen?!

Bro.Greg

#35 Gregory Perry Sr., Aug 1, 2012
  16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

We are on vacation in Seattle, WA and had lunch there.

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Lines were too long yesterday and we were short on time. We're going when things quieten down.

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it was good to see they set an all time sales record for a day!

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You re-worded the issue to suit your argument and created a strawman.

NOBODY said it was biblical or unbiblical to BUY a chicken sandwich.

You know that's not the issue being discussed and you should try to more accurately represent the positions of the people you debate.

It is an opportunity to stand against something God hates. You ought to be for it.

This is smug and insulting and unhelpful and ugly.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I agree with this for the most part.

But it is ALSO a spiritual issue because God hates homosexuality and considers the sin a tremendous blight on any society.

Reminding the culture that God's standards of righteousness have not changed and his people have not completely forgotten them is a VERY good thing.