1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Buying Insurance?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by ventin, Dec 31, 2001.

1. ventin

ventin New Member

can christians buy insurance? if buy, does it in anyway implied that we dont trust God of our future? what sort of insurance do u all buy?

From what i read, insurance does not cover terrorist events like Sep 11. What is going to happen to their families without the breadwinner?

2. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Hi Ventin!

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with buying insurance. God asks us to live life through Him by way of His Spirit. Christ enriches our knowledge (and speaking) in all the ways that are necessary (1 Corinthians 1:4-5).

If you understand what God has freely given you, buying insurance is a non-issue. Just please make sure that you avoid the crooks.

Happy New Year!
    [​IMG]

3. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamal5000: If you understand what God has freely given you, buying insurance is a non-issue. Just please make sure that you avoid the crooks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good advise Jamal5000! [​IMG]

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHY do you buy insurance? For your loved ones I assume (life insurance certainly won't do you any good [​IMG]). <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It is not a lack of faith; it is good stewardship of the people and things God has entrusted to us.

5. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. Ecclesiastes 9:11

Unless God came to you personally and told you that you would have a long and productive life, I suggest you have enough insurance for your family to live off the interest, because there is no such promise in the Bible. Some look at Psalms 37:25 “I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.” As a promise but, if kept in context, it is an observation (the Lord doesn’t forsake the righteous and the righteous don’t forsake their children). Kind of like how David stood in for Jonathan and provided for Mephibosheth so he wouldn’t have to beg for bread.

In the OT, God provided insurance, of sort, in the system of land ownership, the year of Jubilee, Kinsmen Redeemers, gleaning of the wheat etc.

[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: Larry ]

[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: Larry ]

6. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. Ecclesiastes 9:11

Unless God came to you personally and told you that you would have a long and productive life, I suggest you have enough insurance for your family to live off the interest, because there is no such promise in the Bible.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow Pastor Larry,

I've never heard that before. Does God prefer that we get insurance for the good of people we love?

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Insurance, if purchases prudently, is sound stewardship.

8. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Insurance is nothing contrary to God. Who is it that causes it to rain on the unjust and the just? Insurance is another gift from God, just one more way He works to sustain us. Think about what it is. It is enough people who are organized to say, we will all pay a little so that when one person has bad chance (which I don't believe in of course), then his family will not have to suffer. Now that is not to say that some insurance compaines arn't corrupt or that those who own them are out to make money (but hey, so am I, I wouldn't work if I didn't need to feed my family). But it is to say, whatever you eat, whether it was giving to you by a friend, family, your enemy, you found it, you earned it, you whatever, it was giving to you by God. Every bit of sustaining we have comes from God. So we shouldn't contrast not buying insurance (as if God would be more glorified to miraculously have bread apear for your family) to buying insurance out of lack of faith, since both are just as miracules and both are from God. Ask not whether buying insurance is not faith, but instead why you have not Glorfied God for allowing you to live in a country where He has provided insurance.

9. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamal5000:

Wow Pastor Larry,

I've never heard that before. Does God prefer that we get insurance for the good of people we love?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is Larry, but I’m not the same person as Pastor Larry [​IMG]

“Does God prefer that we get insurance for the good of people we love?”

Proverbs 22:3 A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself….

My unauthorized translation: “a smart guy figures out what the worse case scenario is, and then figures a way to make it better”