1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BV/T or defamation of KJVO

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Precepts, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Jim Ward

Jim Ward New Member

Dr. Bob, are you fully prepared to have your same standard applied to you?

Can you provide the answers as they fit to your beliefs based on the standard you hold Bible believers to, or do you bibles believers get the luxery of being held to a different standard because of how faulty your beliefs are?

Jim

2. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Another double standard. Either God WAS deceived in the NASB and God WAS flattered in the KJV, OR man ATTEMPTED to flatter God in the KJV and man ATTEMPTED to deceive God.

Either way, deceived is the word God inspired in Psalms 78:32, and no matter of saying otherwise will change fact into your reality.

3. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

Chapter and verse from the KJV proving that *any* dogmatic pronouncement about *any* form of "One Version Onlyism" is unscriptural:

(1) Lk. 4:16-21, Isa. 61:1-2 -- Jesus reads from a *different* version of Isaiah in the synagogue in Nazareth.

(2) Ac. 8:26-35, Isa. 53:7-8 -- Philip uses a *different* version of Isaiah to lead the Ethiopian eunuch to Christ.

Twice the Scriptures sanction the use of different versions. Nowhere do the Scriptures state that any one single version (KJV or otherwise) is *the* sole word of God.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Then you are not looking Jim. We have shown you incontrovertible evidence that the Scriptures quote from a version of Scripture that is not the KJV. That is clear, undeniable, BIBLICAL evidence that something other than the KJV is the word of God.

Secondly, we have shown you that no Scripture has been yet shown where God identifies the KJV as his word. That is clear undeniable biblical evidence. You simply are not thinking about this before you speak.

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Allusive???? Do you know what you are trying to say?? My mind has made no allusions to anything. I usually just come right out and say what I want.

And you will always be wrong when you maintain that other versions in the English language are not. It should have been quite obvious to you that I was not talking about foreign language translations (although that does disprove your point).

Perhaps finally you will be willing to show some evidence for this claim. In all these posts, you guys have yet to show one place where the word of God is detracted from or contradicted. It is time to start putting your money where your mouth is. Step up to the plate ... find an actual example of this.

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Psalm 78:36 Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues.

Who is "him" in the second part of this verse? It is God. Can we agree on that?

Now, understanding Hebrew poetry and the use of parallelism, we should understand that the first line and the second line say the same thing in different ways. (If you doubt me, look up synonymous parallelism and find out for yourself. In fact, that would be good. It is always good for you guys to start learning what you are talking about. It would help prevent you from making these ridiculous charges about God's word).

The first line and second line say the same thing. They were lying to God. Deceit is another word for lie.

The word patach in the piel means to persuade or deceive. (Again, look it up if you doubt me).

So again, when you believe God's word, this verse causes no problem whatever version you use. It is a made up argument.

The KJV itself tells us that at times God came into the knowledge of something (cf Gen 22). Does that mean he didn't know it before? Of course not. All we need to do is understand Scripture.

7. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Larry, will you ever learn that did flater and deceived mean two different things? It seems we need to learn what Larry says he knows and then Larry doesn't know exactly what he's talking about.You have to go back to Hebrew, twist the English rendering of the Hebrew word to try and say it means "deceived". We are NOT saying they didn't try to deceive, nor did they try to lie, to Him, but the NasV clearly reads they "deceived", get that? "DECEIVED" and "lied".

What you don't understand is the English! "deceived" has a finality in the action of the verb specifically saying the LORD was deceived, fooled, duped,smokescreened,etc. Now one can lie to God, meaning they "lied" to Him, but that does NOT have the same finality in the action and understanding .

I have been lied to often, sometimes I believed the lie told and was maligned by it, I was then "deceived". I have had others try to deceive me with that same form of deception, but I only was deceived when their deception completed it's action to malign. We are talking about two totally separate actions in completion: "Lied to" does not mean the action was completed as to malign, neither does "did flatter".

"Deceived" and "lied to" when joined together by "and" gives the impression and it is understood that the One receiving the action was maligned.

Now, would you have God deceived and lied to, or like the Truth tells us, they "did flatter" Him, and lied to Him?

I'm glad you finally admit the NasV translated the Hebrew word wrong.

If you want to keep squirming over this infraction introduced by the NasV, be my guest, but we would have you to come to the knowledge of the Truth/ AV 1611 KJB. It seems you are already there, we'll see by your response. :rolleyes:

8. ScottEmerson

A definition of the modern Webster's lists as a definition for deceive: "To practice deceit." and "To give a false impression." Using the same methodolgy that you have used in the past, we see that deceived is a legitimate word as it doesn't necessarily place the emphasis on he who was deceived, but on the deception that the person attempts. I myself have had people try to make an impression but it was hollow - I could see right through it. There was deception on his end, but not mine.

Using Precepts own methodology, we see that he is simply incorrect in this area.

9. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Still squirming, huh?

10. Orvie

Orvie New Member

[​IMG]

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

The bigger question is will you ever learn that it doesn't matter what "flatter" or "deceive" means; it only matter what "yepatuhu" means. That is the point since that is the word that God used.

yes I get that. What do you think the Hebrew clearly reads? Since you know so much, get out your Hebrew text and look it up and then get out your Brown-Driver-Briggs and look it up. Or you might use Kohler Baumgartner since that has become a better resource.

Go ahead ... we are waiting ...

What?? You are telling us you don't know enough Hebrew to get it out and look it up??? How can you tell us what a word means when you are unable to look it up in the appropriate resources??

And what I am telling you is that the word "patach" in the Piel means to deceive.

12. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Still squirming, huh? Aren't we dealing with the English understanding? To deceive does NOT mean deceived, does it? To deceive does not mean one is deceived. The NasV uses the term deceived and is an ERROR!

Will yall continue to squirm? We'll see.

13. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I'm glad we STILL agree the NasV is wrong to say "they deceived Him"

14. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Precepts:Is this a Bible versions/translations debate forum or a bash your favorite KJVO proponent?

Actually, it's a forum for telling the TRUTH about BVs and for exposing the false doctrines that have arisen because someeone doesn't like some particular BVs.

15. Orvie

Orvie New Member

Translation: Why study the languages God chose to inspire His Word, when you have the language Precepts speaks, far superior to what God chose to write His Word? Yes, the Anglican translators, who couldn't stand Baptists could never make a mistake, since they were prophets, instead of interprets. :rolleyes:

16. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Larry has goo in his hair, then he says,"You are making it up that I have goo in my hair. There is not anything squirming in the goo I say I don't have in my hair. I am amused that anyone can obviously see that I have goo in my hair and something is squirming around in it, all the while I deny having goo in my hair. I also amazed that anyone who knows so little about goo and what is usually found squirming in it, tries to come to me and tell me that I have goo in my hair. I know the truth, and I don't have goo in my hair. I don't need you or anyone else to try and tell me I have goo in my hair and there is something squirming around in it, it is MY hair!"

Meanwhile, we all stand in utter amazement that Larry still DENIES having goo in his hair with somethjing squirming around in it, that we all can see with the naked eye, or is it a group illusion? NO!

17. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Translation: Why study the languages God chose to inspire His Word, when you have the language Precepts speaks, far superior to what God chose to write His Word? Yes, the Anglican translators, who couldn't stand Baptists could never make a mistake, since they were prophets, instead of interprets. :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]Why study those languages when God has already given us what He said in the English of the AV1611KJB, especially since we are all speaking English? Then try to tell those who understand English that is not what God actuially said? When we look at the same languages we find the AV 1611 KJB to be accurate, but still, all the while, we have "language enthusaists" trying to tell us English doesn't then mean English anymore, it has to mean Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek. But then we know the English of the KJB means exactly what the Hebrew, Aramaic, and the Greek all meant in the first place? Seems there is something squirming around in here, and it's not a worm, IT'S THE serpent! "Hath God said?"

SERPENT ALERT! SERPENT ALERT! SERPENT ALERT!

18. ScottEmerson

One reason is this: When we do study, we realize that the statement that God specifically gave the KJV as his only inspired, infallible English version is patently false. Learning the langugage can help you let go of this false doctrine.

We try to tell you that, but you're unable to see because your assumptions are all messed up.

Your a priori assumption is messed up - that's why it's so hard for you to understand our position. We start with the assumption that God inspired the originals, and everything in English is a translation. You seem to start with God inspiring the KJV, so the Greek can only be understood through that translation.

That's just it - we DON'T know without looking into it. Those who have done understand that there are several places where the KJV doesn't give the best rendering for a word.

Why be so self-deprecating?

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There you go again. QUIT THAT. You are equating Bible believer = King James (whatever revision) believer.

That is wrong.

BTW, if I hold to a doctrine (like KJVO is a doctrine) that is NOT in the Bible or does not have a chapter/verse to support it, THEN DON'T BELEIVE IT! It is man-made.

It may sound good; it may sound logical (unlike the KJVO false doctrine without one shred of biblical support) but if it is not "THUS SAITH THE LORD" then be very wary of even listening to it.

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The proof of a doctrine being "biblical" is that it will be found in the Bible. Duh. I know this is a hard concept for you, but all I am looking for is one verse that supports KJVO.

And your flippant "I give you Genesis 1:1 . ." is demeaning to the Word of God and that will not be allowed. Don't treat God's precious Word like a 4-year-old.