1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BWA just fine without SBC

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jimmy C, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The BWA is meeting in Birmingham England this week and seems to be doing well without the SBC. In an exciting bit of news the BGCT (Baptist General Convention of Texas) has voted to become a partner with the BWA! Baptists in Virgina have voted to do the same. I am excited to be part of a group (our church is a BGCT church)that takes its resposibility to the world seriously.

Link follows: http://www.abpnews.com/news/news_detail.cfm?NEWS_ID=822

2. shannonL

shannonL New Member

What will be more exciting news is when the BGCT votes to leave the SBC. Now that would be exciting!!!!

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Yep that is it, the SBC withdrew because they are just not serious enough about the world :rolleyes:

Give me a break...

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

How do YOU spell liberal? BWA

5. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

No - because they could not control the BWA. I guess they could not bus enough people in to vote as the executive commitee needed to take control of the BWA.

Now the SBC is going to spend more $$ to develop a group to compete with the BWA - give me a break

Its just like kids playing - if you dont play ball my way I'm going to take my bat and go home. Problem for the SBC is the BWA had another bat!

6. PastorSBC1303

If the SBC is so bad, why don't you and your church just leave? Is anyone forcing you to stay in such a bad place?

7. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The BWA is a very conservative organization - are upholding fundamental human rights, or full religious freedom or peace LIBERAL?? Of course today the stands the Christ took would be considered liberal by most fundamentalists(protecting prostitutes, children, eating with sinners)

Churches in Africa that the BWA is very instrumental in would think that most folks in even the most conservative of US churches are flaming liberals - I will stand with them any day.

By the way check out thier web site - Henry Blackaby and Rick Warren(noted liberals both) are speaking at the BWA world congress. http://www.bwanet.org/

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I joined my first SBC church when I was 21, didn't even know who Annie Armstrong was! I love the SBC - not that I dont disagree with some of the stances, but overall I still chose to remain SBC. Wouldnt this world be boring if everyone agreed with you?

9. PastorSBC1303

The SBC made the right choice in withdrawing from a liberal organization that is headed down a slippery slope. Of course the BWA does some good things around the world, but that still does not mean that they do not have some huge issues to deal with and that the SBC should just sit back and watch them fall down the slope.

If you and your church are upset about it then do something....leave....otherwise deal with it and move on.

10. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I didn't care about the BWA vs the SBC arguement until very recently. I ran into some really neat, loving folks who were all Pastors proclaiming the BWA - and then I heard their doctorines and my heart went into my stomach.

These were the men who supported women in the pulpit, gay Baptist churches, and figured divorced was just a stage of life.

I'll stick to the SBC. We aren't perfect, but we aren't United Methodist either. ;)

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

How do YOU spell liberal? BWA </font>[/QUOTE]AMEN

12. Pronto

Pronto New Member

When did the SBC become the center of baptist life around the world? They are one group. Mostly the SBC enjoys telling others what to do and think, which is their "right". They have moved to the far corners of Christian life and are on the edge of irrelevence. Mind you, they will be the last to figure this out.

It's funny how you can "live" with an imperfect SBC, but you aren't willing to "live" with an imperfect BWA? Typical inconsistent we're better then you are SBC nonsense!

13. PastorSBC1303

No one said the SBC was the center of baptist life. Jesus Christ is the center of life and should be the center for all Christians!

If standing on the inerrant Word of God places us in the far corners of the Christian life, then show me the corner because that is where I want to be.

You have chosen to swallow the CBF/BWA liberal propaganda hook, line and sinker...

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The fact reported by the SBC recently is that evangelism is 1/2 of what it was in the 1950's. If anyone has been around the SBC long enough they know that is true.

The majority of evangelical Christians know little about the SBC, CBF or BWA and really do not care.

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This thread reminds me of this illustration which I'm sure many of you are familiar with.

16. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

"The majority of evangelical Christians know little about the SBC, CBF or BWA and really do not care."

Well - define "Evangelical Christians."

16.3% of the Christians in American identify as Baptists.

34% of those who identify as Baptist are members of SBC churches.

17. shannonL

shannonL New Member

CBF: Corrupt Baptist Fellowship
    CBF : Compromising Baptist Fellowship
    CBF: Cry Baby Fellowship
    CBF: Careless with Bible Fellowship

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Regarding Gold Dragon's funny little story on separation, I am Baptist to the core in my beliefs, but oftentimes labels mean very little to me. I find myself more at home with many conservative Presbyterians and Lutherans than I do many Baptists. It's not the label that matters, it's what one believes and what one bases those beliefs on. I'd rather align myself with a Presbyterian or what-have-you if they believe in the inerrant Word of God, than a Baptist who doesn't.

19. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

What is it that makes the BWA liberal - that Paige and Dot Patterson dont like it? That they dont disassociate from countries that have women pastors? The fact is, the BWA is conservative when it comes to majoring on the majors. You may disagree with them on minor issues (women pastors etc) but when you get to the major issues you agree with them more than you may think you do. Denton Lotz was forced by a false statement by Paige Patterson last year to run around the country and defend the BWA on the gay pastor issue (BWA is against gay pastors)

But lets not let facts cloud our judgement!

20. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

What do you consider to be "Major"?