1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bypassing email server

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Michael Edwards, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Michael Edwards

Michael Edwards New Member

Hello all:

For anyone that has been online a while and has sent email through a program like outlook express, you will probably know what I'm about to talk about.

A few months back, while using MSN as my dial up service, I suddenly could not SEND mail from my email address of domain @parksidebaptist.com

I called them and they said that this is a security feature that they have so that it reduces spam sent through their servers. For a while you could still put in THEIR outgoing smtp server and it would show up as your domain name, now they even took that away. I found out that my father has the same problem with his ISP and so do many other friends of mine.

Does anyone know a way to bypass all of that, yet still use an email client such as outlook express?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Michael

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting question...I've just been using the SMTP e-mail protocol and program available through my web host....

3. Iakobos

Iakobos Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I discovered this very problem with MSN this past week. Technically speaking, MSN shuts down port 25 to outbound traffic to prevent spammers from using MSN as a "base" to send out spam. However, that also shuts out honest people like us from using it. There is no workaround, per MSN.

To make matters worse, in my case I cannot use Outlook as my mail client to send mail while connected to MSN using my iakobos.com domain. While using MSN, I can only use web-based mail (a personal "ugh" for me). If you have an older MSN account, you might be able to call MSN and have them make your email account a POP account. Then you'll be able to send mail using Outlook Express, with your @parksidebaptist.com address as your "reply to" address.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me or PM me. Me, I'm just on the two-month trial for MSN, so maybe my next ISP will allow me to use port 25... [​IMG]

Blessings,
    James

4. Pioneer

Pioneer Guest

When configuring your e-mail account:

#1 - Make sure your Outgoing and Incoming Mail Servers read the same (such as mail.whateverdomain.com)

#2 - Enter your account name and password.

#3 - For the Outgoing Mail Server, click on the box that reads "my server requires authentication" and then click on "Settings". Choose to use the same settings as your incoming mail server.

#4 - Problem should be solved.

5. Iakobos

Iakobos Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pioneer,

Thanks for the steps; that's actually how I had it set up, and it works when I'm using the LAN at school (I have a laptop). However, I spoke to MSN Support about this yesterday, and they do indeed block port 25. That is the port Outlook tries to use for outgoing mail, so this is a no-go when using MSN. I don't know what other ISPs do, but if they don't block port 25, then Pioneer's steps will work great.

Blessings,
    James

6. Iakobos

Iakobos Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One last follow up on this issue. I found the following information at http://www.postcastserver.com/html/port_25_blocking.html:

Blessings,
    James