1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

C.H. Spurgeon and election

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JerryL, Apr 13, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Seriously, are you on medication? Some of the things you write makes no sense and have no connection. At times you contradict yourself in the same posting.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

YOur tangled mess of your twisting of the scripture are bad enough.
    Then to add insult to injury you throw a little worthless ad hominem into the mix.

Nobody even mentioned Calvin's institutes in this thread and I have never even read it.
    I honestly do not know why you can bash people like you do and stay around here.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SFIC is not the only one to pull that ruse off . A mod on another thread said to me : " The Bible and 'The Institutes of Calvin are not one and the same thing . The sooner you learn that the better off you will be ."

He brought that up , not me . And of course for him or SFIC to throw that in as kind of a roadblock is silly and wrong . They know it , but they do it anyway . I guess they think it's sort of a clincher for them .

4. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Without the Institutes of the Christian Religion written by John Calvin (written when Calvin was 26 years old...one year after he converted to "Protestantism"), the entire theology of TULIP and Calvinism would fall flat on its face. It's not necessary to mention the Institutes...the theology permeates this thread and all other threads concerning Calvinism.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This phrase by Spurgeon confines God to time. It is this whole "pre", and "fore" understanding (or mis) that I believe leads to calvinists' deterministic model of God's electing placed within a specific timeframe. God is omnipresent. He exists in all points in time, and outside of time AT the same time. He is the great "I AM". This whole "He chose me first" is not found in Scripture. While he was a great preacher, he was still a man, and fallible like us all. Scripture is for our benefit, not God's. That is why the need for "pre" and "fore" phrasing...to get a little taste of God's omnipotent, omniscient, ominpresent power.

#45 webdog, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Have you ever read the Institutes?

I have not. But I have found those doctrines in the bible.
    YOur statement is nonsense.

It would be like me saying that you could not get your theology without Billy Sunday.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not find John Calvin's name in the Bible. I only find that I am to focus on Christ. I have read Calvin's Institutes partly because I wanted to know what he actually wrote. I found that a lot of what is attributed to him is not true. Calvin himself realized the shortcomings of his own theology if carried too far.

It seems the first time it got brought uop in thsi thread was aimed at me by SFIC. So I asked for a quote to support his assertion and received nothing.

In fact there are a number of times where I mentioned that Calvinism is idolatry.

You do know that God created evil.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I learned from another thread that SFIC does not have to back up his statements.
    It is our job to prove them false.

Here is what he said:
    You can find the context here: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=48056&page=14
    http://
    He had made accusations against a publication and failed to give any documentation to support his claims.
    When probed he said the above.

#48 Dale-c, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  9. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am curious as to what the "TRUE" Gospel is?

Does it vary from John 3:16?

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I am not sure what you are getting at.

No, the true gospel does not vary from John 3:16.
    That is a basic summary of the gospel.

It is the gospel that C.H. Spurgeon preached.
    Of course he did preach the whole bible and not simply select passages that fit his purposes.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Last I checked, Scripture pre-dated Calvin. So he just restated Scripture.

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Shhh....you are bursting Linda's bubble...or strawman or whatever.

13. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Last time I looked, John Calvin's Institutes had nothing to do with the Bible. They are man's interpretations of the Bible. I reject the Institutes ... yes, Dale, I have read a portion of the Institutes---pretty dry reading.

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Linda, the straw man is that you said the only way to come up with calvinistic doctrine was to read from the institutes.
    Nothing could be further from the truth.
    According to your husband, you lied, either intentionally or unintentionally.
    becuase you told a falsehood.

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That does not suprise me you would think so,
    As I said, I have not read it so I can't comment on how good it is from personal experience.
    But since I have not read it you can't claim that is where I get my theology.

16. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I guess you must have believed other Calvinists who have read the Institutes...so therefore, you have gotten your theology INDIRECTLY from John Calvin...through other Calvinists.

17. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is truly the most ridiculous statement I have heard in a long time. You lose credibilty with these types of arguments.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Since Scripture speaks of election, and God's calling the saved, why is this the most ridiculous statement?

19. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I read this type of stuff from time to time. I can take you to people from the two main views who have fought over their theology and they both use the Scripture well for their view, I'm of neither of those two views. I guess I'm more like J. Vernon McGree was when he said good men and smarter men than he, from Calvinistic camp and from Arminanism have had many fights over it and they both run into trouble somewhere in the Scripture. He was Calvinistic but didn't push it much and I think he ended up a three or four pointer, but I could be wrong on that. I know Wesley isn't always in accord with Arminanism but I put him in that camp, but I have no question he was used greatly by God as Spurgeon was, and many more out of each of those two camps as well as folks out of a camp like mine which isn't either one.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Back in February on a thread that I started about our pastor teaching that both Calvinism and Arminianism are true and Scriptural, Allen was kind enough to post this quote from Spurgeon from his sermon "A Defense of Calvinism:

There was a bunch of discussion about it and since I see evidence of both free will and election in Scripture, then there must be a truth that my humble mind can't comprehend at this time. Someday, when I'm face to face with my Savior, I just might get it.