1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cable TV via Internet

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen some ads for internet TV.

Does anyone know about this service?

Does anyone use the service?

One of them said that for a one time fee of about 50 dollars, you receive hundreds of stations.
    and with the proper line, you can cable from your PC to your in house television.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Salty

2. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

We ditched satellite about a year ago, no reason to pay $65 a month for all that junk when we just watched a handful of channels. We are just using an antenna now and will buy a DVD occassionally, which works ok for us. The things I do miss about not having the satellite is the DVR and watching college football on ESPN.

I've looked into some of these Internet TV options, and I think this will be the future, hopefully as the technology is improved it will drive down cable and satellite prices.

I have tried Hulu and Fancast which were on the list, they are about the same. I think Hulu has gone to a subscription now for $8 or $10 per month, but some shows are still free. Most of the major networks also have recent episodes online for free as well. All you need to watch on your TV is a S-Cable? I think they run around $25 at Radio Shack, pretty simple to use, its just like using your TV for another monitor, but the sound comes through your computer which is a little odd. I believe Radio Shack may sell a box that is a little more costly, that does about the same thing. Apple also has a box with a service called Apple TV. There are a couple others out there as well.

I've also tried skyangel http://www.skyangel.com/Programming...t.aspx?#/package=2:type=0:catIdx=0:chnlIdx=-1. The equipment is expensive to start up, but the monthly fee is reasonable, and the picture quality is good. They have several packages with some religous stations and some mainstream. Living in the sticks, our internet speed is not fast enough for the system to work properly, so we returned it. Otherwise we would probably go with it and use the antenna for local news.

3. billwald

billwald New Member