1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Caffeinated Teetotalers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Arbo, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I think we agree then lol. I dont think "altered state" is a good enough definition to say something is sinful or not. I dont think caffeine is a problem.. I do think anything in excess can be sinful, or gluttonus (spelling is hard). Also certain drugs like alcohol, we can take their properties that they cause and use those to tackle subjects like cocaine, meth, marijuana/pot, etc. Its good interesting conversation at the very least.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just read about college students that are taking prescription stimulants to help them study for tests. How about that? Instead of drinking coffee to wake up in the morning is it OK to take Adderall and/or Ritalin to shake the grumpiness away? Why or why not?

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Abuse of or being controlled by any substance is sin. Including food. Therein is the key.

4. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Some people are grumpy in the morning until they've had a bowel movement. I guess bowel movements should be considered taboo too.:laugh:

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Is that why the rarest creature on earth is a thin Baptist preacher?

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No doubt the Baptist faith does not need another Pharisee rule to go by. For those who think this caffeine issue is an issue to die for, I am sure the Church of Christ has many openings.

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Interesting. People want to take us to lunch after church and trip out if we don't gorge at the buffet like they do. They'll eat 3 or 9 plates of dinner and dessert, and ask if something is wrong because we didn't gorge ourselves along with them. As a matter of fact, I had a preacher rebuke me at a preachers fellowship because he said I was in shape and therefore due to this I will be in trouble (with women). I suppose if I were fat like him, then we could be buddies?

I have to watch what I eat and I have to lift weights and workout to combat a high incidence of diabetes in our family. So far it has worked.

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Apparently you have never spent an evening at Starbucks. :)

Actually, large doses of strong coffee/caffeine have essentially the same effect on the body as cocaine or speed.

:tonofbricks:

9. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes and no. Cocaine has a lot of other physiological effects that Caffeine doesn't produce. Furthermore, as I have stated many o' time, you can get drunk on water... do we just not drink water? I would need someone to build quite a strong case against caffeine for me to be convinced.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I went to a Starbucks one time, and had no idea what the items on the menu even meant. I just went because the person I was with wanted to go. When I asked for a regular cup of coffee, he looked at me like I was crazy (which is probably true). Anyway, that was the most expensive cup of coffee I ever got. The following Christmas, I got a Starbucks card for a gift. Anyway, I gave it to my daughter so she could use it.

11. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I don't drink coffee, I never acquired the taste for it.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He probably was confused on the size. They go by tall, grande and venti. Stupid.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love coffee never had to acquire the taste for it. I have just always liked it.

14. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Do you think continually being high on caffeine can adversely affect the leading of The Lord in your life?

Can continually being high on caffeine affect our feeling the presence of The Lord?

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mentioned this to Mrs Salty- said "What" I suppose that preacher must need an excuse for being overweight.

Me either - and I don't drink cappuccino either
    (does that make us twins)

Must be a Marine thing

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arbo..I start my day with 3 habitual cups of Joe then throughout the day another 2 or 3...but I am not a tea totaler

17. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

SIN is the Transgression of Yah's Law..---SO show Yah's law that states it is wrong to consume alcoholic drinks ???????

I didn't say to get drunk ----I said to consume in moderation ?????

18. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Three days per week (semi-retired), my day begins at 1 AM. Monday, Tisdag, and Wednesday I deserve my coffee.:laugh: