1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CAFTA vote story

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JGrubbs, Jul 29, 2005.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

My accusations are not unsubstantiated, I have memos from Congressmen who voted against CAFTA and were told by the administration that they would see that none of the bills they introduce would pass. It's a known fact that the only reason the vote was extended was to "twist arms" to get the votes that the administration wanted.

Before the vote, GOP leaders, who had negotiated a number of deals in recent days to sway Republicans, made it clear they were prepared to twist arms and, if necessary, extend the voting period.

Those GOP Reps who spoke out against CAFTA and told their constituents that they would vote against it but caved to the pressure of the administration sold out on their principles!

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The trouble is that your fears are unrealized because this is a minor deal.

It is like the far right's calling the war illegal. If they went to federal court, it would be thrown out. If you went to federal court over this minor deal, you would be thrown out.

I guess that the far right would not make a deal even to end abortion--they are so clean and so above everyday life and they just eat sausage and they don't want to know how it is made or want to see it made. Oh, you mean people really make deals just like at a used car lot?

CAFTA is good. Hoosier Congressman Dan Burton says that we need to encourage trade with the democracies nourished by President Reagan and that we need to encourage investment to leave Europe and China and go to Central America.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean the federal courts that claim that the U.S. constitution contains a right to abortion? :rolleyes:

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Yeah those federal courts? Right on Ken.

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look if you want to know why the Republican Party passed CAFTA, look at the video or read the transcript of what Rep. Dan Burton said on the floor of the House. Burton is Chairman of the sub-committee on the Western Hemisphere, a sub-committee of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs.

It abolished tariffs on US goods going into Central America, it helps nuture the democracies preserved by Reagan, it helps keep people in Central America instead of causing them to flee here, and it is part of America's vital interests to have good economic ties with Central America.

http://www.house.gov/burton/

7. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Trade Pact Threatens U.S. Sovereignty, Allows Foreigners to Side-Step Immigration Laws

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Congressman Tom Tancredo (R-CO) sent a letter to U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman, outlining the lawmaker's serious concerns with the nearly 1,000 page-long Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA).

"This agreement opens America's borders to a lot more than sugar and bananas," said Tancredo, "This agreement, as drafted, will effectively give people from El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Costa Rica, and the Dominican Republic a de facto right to work in the United States."

The agreement comes on the heels of prior trade agreements with Singapore and Chile, both of which also included provisions liberalizing immigration law.

Despite continued insistence by CAFTA's supporters that the deal does not include immigration provisions, the plain language of the agreement suggests otherwise.

Tancredo pointed to Chapter 11 of the agreement, which stipulates that, "Cross-border trade in services or cross-border supply of services means the supply of a service...by a national of a party in the territory of another party." The agreement goes on to say that the U.S. must ensure that, "measures relating to qualification requirements and procedures, technical standards and licensing requirements do not constitute unnecessary barriers to trade in services," and are "not in themselves a restriction on the supply of the service."

"This agreement will allow foreign companies to challenge our immigration policies in international CAFTA tribunals and argue that the laws impede their ability to access the U.S. service sector," said Tancredo. "That would force Congress to change our immigration laws, or subject our businesses to trade sanctions."

"If this agreement is approved, the 'exclusive' power of Congress to regulate immigration policy will be subjugated to the whim of international tribunals - the same way that Congress ceded its once supreme Constitutional authority to 'regulate commerce with foreign nations' to the WTO."

Source: PHXnews

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you like to talk about "manipulation " of the rules by democrats in the Senate?

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't matter. 15 minutes is the MINIMUM time. Perks of being the majority. Get over it.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If all that was being intended was to eliminate tariffs, then a single sheet of paper would have sufficed for the terms of the agreement.

As far as keeping folks from fleeing here, putting the military at the borders should suffice for that.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they keep going down the road they are traveling, then they just may not be the majority come January 2007.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that the Democrats' abuse of the filibuster rule in the U.S. Senate has been shameful.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's another "no" vote the people didn't get in their struggle with Leviathan:

"In addition to Taylor, Rep. Jo Ann Davis, a Virginia Republican, also planned to vote against the measure. But Davis was traveling in her district and failed to get back in time.

“The intention was to be there. Again, she wasn’t able to get back in time because of the weather,” said Davis’ chief of staff Chris Connelly."

- SOURCE

This vote plus Taylor's that didn't register would have made it a 217-217 tie and Leviathan would have lost.

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and I am sure that we can take the Lady from the great state of Virginia at her word.

Haven't you ever been in the sausage factory before? Hope it doesn't ruin your breakfast to see how it is done. Glad that you are too principled to do anything like that for any reason. Know what? You eat sausage and leave the manufacture of it to others if you don't like the way it is made.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ain't backin' down from Leviathan and its supporters, cmg.

16. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Me neither Ken, it smells more like globalony than sausage to me. :D

17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hawley and Smoot? Do you wear buckles or buttons on your shoes instead of shoe strings? Maybe WalMart will bring in some cheap shoes from the Dominican Republic or somewhere with velcro or shoestrings for ties and you can get rid of those buckles or buttons.

18. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

JGrubbs, I don't know if I support FTAA yet, I haven't really looked into the situation. If the reason you oppose CAFTA is because of the world government slant, I will not argue with you. Although I am of the opinion that it will happen when it is time, and there is nothing that can be done about it. The world government is necessary for God's plan to come to a close for this world.

However, world government isn't the reason most people I have encountered are against CAFTA. They claim that the US will lose jobs, it will hurt our economy, etc. Those claims are the ones I take issue with. I don't believe them to be true, and I have yet to see anyone make an argument that would come close to changing my mind.

19. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Just because the Bible teaches that in the end times there will be a one world government and that the Antichrist will rule over the earth, doesn't mean we need to help make it happen, or support the Antichrist in his rise to power. Christians throughout history have believed that they were in the end times, we can try to make the world come to an end during our lifetime. We need to do everything we can to make the world a safer place for our children and grandchildren and be prepared to protect our family from the Antichrist when he does come to power.

I do also believe just like NAFTA did, that CAFTA will hurt our economy and job market. NAFTA, CAFTA and the FTAA are all part of the same plan, and the authors of this knew they had to happen in the right order.

20. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

I am not saying we should try to make it happen. I am saying that we cannot keep it from happening when it is time. Thus, I don't worry too much about the notion of one world government. I do not believe it can happen until it is time, and I do not believe it can be stopped once it is time.

CAFTA won't hurt for one simple reason. The companies that were looking to relocate for cheaper labor already have. There won't be a sudden rush to Central America from companies in the US. It may, and I believe will, hurt the Mexican economy as several jobs they gained due to NAFTA will leave them for even cheaper wages. But, if a company didn't seek to take advantage of the provisions of NAFTA, you will never convince me that they are waiting to run now.

I believe that this will lead to more affordable products, an expanded market for American goods, and result in a general boost in the economy. If I am wrong, I will be proven wrong. But, none of the talk about CAFTA has convinced me. We will have to wait and see. I believe that people will generally not notice. Those that do will be pleased.