1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

California Voters: Vote Nov 08th

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Johnv, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This is a plea for all California registered voters to get to their polling places today and vote in the special election. Here are the pertinent propositions:

YES on PROPOSITION 73 - WAITING PERIOD AND PARENTAL NOTIFICATION BEFORE TERMINATION OF MINOR'S PREGNANCY.

YES on PROPOSITION 74 - PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS. WAITING PERIOD FOR PERMANENT STATUS. DISMISSAL.

YES on PROPOSITION 75 - PUBLIC EMPLOYEE UNION DUES. RESTRICTIONS ON POLITICAL CONTRIBUTIONS. EMPLOYEE CONSENT REQUIREMENT.

YES on PROPOSITION 76 - STATE SPENDING AND SCHOOL FUNDING LIMITS.

YES on PROPOSITION 77 - REDISTRICTING.

YES on PROPOSITION 78 - DISCOUNTS ON PRESCRIPTION DRUGS.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you only want them to come out and vote if they are going to vote yes or is it ok if they come out and vote even if they don't agree with how you are going to vote?

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't care if they vote totally against the things I vote for, or whether they completely agree with me.

I hope that every registered voter in Califnronia votes today. Period.

4. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I hope the ones voting against you stay home.

5. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Voters in San Francisco approved ballot measures to ban handguns. The gun ban prohibits the manufacture and sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city, and makes it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes or businesses. Although law enforcement, security guards and others who require weapons for work are exempt from the measure, current handgun owners would have to surrender their firearms by April.

Source: NewsMax

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I hear that the NRA is planning a court challenge to that measure. Don't quote me on that though, as my info is third-hand.

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Johnv, do you think Arnold has any political capital left to get anything done after every measure he pushed for was defeated yesterday?

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm glad you asked. Actually, there's a common view here in So Cal that the defeats will end up backfiring upon the special interest groups that wanted them defeated. If Sacramento spending is not controlled, those interest groups will have to point the finger at themselves, and their ability to pin the blame on the Governator is extremely diminished. Meanwhile, the Governator's ability to in the future say "I told you so" has just increased greatly.

I'm aware that Schwarzenegger's popularity in the polls is low right now, but voters are fickle. When an election year comes around, voters rally around what they know, even if the complain the other three years.

9. NateT

NateT Member

Ah, but special interest groups are usually not as honest as that to admit that the fault is theirs.

10. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

"I'm glad you asked. Actually, there's a common view here in So Cal that the defeats will end up backfiring upon the special interest groups that wanted them defeated"

Oh, really! thanks for the tons of links that
    support this. Oh I get it ..it is just your
    humble star trekking humble opinion.

[​IMG]

Beware of the next special interest group ....trekkies for Ahhnold. ;)

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm often amused at the great lengths you go to in order to insult and belittle other posters on the board.

Since when are "tons of links" needed when the topic is opinion? Feel free to post links to support your opinion that links are needed when espousing an opinion.

12. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

I'm glad you asked. Actually, there's a common view here in So Cal that the defeats will end up backfiring upon the special interest groups that wanted them defeated"

by all means tell us who is in common with your
    view JohnV is all I am saying ..you said it like
    it was a common thing...which perhaps it is not
    not an insult you provided the information and are proud to be a trekkie so embrace it and if
    you did not notice I put an offical gig smiley
    at the end. [​IMG]

So put up or ask Mr. Sulu to plot another course.
    [​IMG]

the key word is "common" you said it..that is all
    I am saying...provide the other common denominators or take ownership of a single humble
    opinion.

So go boldly into the link world and provide just
    one!

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I look forward to the day you display an ability to treat people with respect instead of displaying a condescending attitude.

I'm not holding by breath.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my opinion... ;)

It appears Californians decided to stay in the same financial hole they are already in with the same people that put them there.

Who will they cry to the next time they can't get electricity?

No links available. :D

15. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Oh really and you do not! I have seen a few innocent posts knocked down by you with the so
    called

"condescending attitude"

perhaps some projecting going on here JohnV

have a nice day and it is still on the table
    that you provide a link to all this commonality(invented word) ;)

That is really all I am asking is that you
    prove your point that there is a groundswell
    for a backlash...again you said "common" did you
    not...or was it just your humble opinion?

and if I used humor to gig you into some proof
    I am deeply sorry you took it wrongly.

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Thanks John! Good point about the elections. For all the hand-wringing by the Republicans right now in D.C., the 2006 elections are a long way away and a lot can happen in a year.

Now, here's my original question.

Aslanspal wrote:
    I think I asked johnv what he thought, didn't I? If he thinks the opinion is common (and he clearly does), what part of that is contrary to the question? If I had wanted links, I would have gone to various web sites to find them. I wanted a thoughtful, intelligent answer from somebody who lives in California, and I got what I wanted.

I don't know why you think your nastiness is warranted.

17. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

And I simply asked to back up his proof , if he
    answered you fine and dandy he did not answer
    really anything other than ONE opinion but he said "common" and I simply asked who are these
    commons who will give the Gropinator a major
    comeback.

btw cc it is a public board for all to see it is
    not like you had a private pm for him to answer
    you.

He said common ..if it is "common" and it will
    be a major backlash in favor of the Gropinator
    then fine...provide proof. Why? because it is a
    major political move if a groundswell or a "common" majority will keep him in power. He lost abysmally with very little support...so are these common people sitting on
    their hands or are they the opinions of a few or
    are the opinion of many.

JohnV acts like he is speaking for many ..so who
    are these many (common)or is it all smoke and
    mirrors and sour grapes because the loss was really bad but of course he is welcome to his
    single humble opinion.

Sincerely
    Aslanspal

18. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Results Unsettle Gov.'s Supporters
    As rumors of turmoil fly, sources say they expect some top advisors to leave. Democrats and labor are weighing how to proceed.

By Peter Nicholas and Jordan Rau, Times Staff Writers

SACRAMENTO — On a day of fierce recriminations, Republican allies and friends of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger appeared shaken Wednesday by the collapse of his agenda in this week's special election, saying he needs to recapture the confidence of voters by jettisoning some of his political advisors.

Among those distressed by the direction of the governor's administration is First Lady Maria Shriver, who is interviewing potential candidates for senior staff jobs in the governor's office, according to people familiar with the matter.

As rumors swirled, names surfaced of people who might be asked to join Schwarzenegger in high-level jobs. They included Democrats; one was Susan Kennedy, a California Public Utilities Commission member who had been a top aide to former Gov. Gray Davis. She declined to comment.

The suggestions of turmoil ahead came as Schwarzenegger's opponents, savoring their victory, appeared ambivalent about the best way to approach the weakened governor.

Schwarzenegger stumbled badly in his attempt to make 2005 his "year of reform" when all four measures he championed were defeated Tuesday.

link [​IMG]

MICHAEL HILTZIK
    It's Time to Fix the Initiative Process
    Michael Hiltzik

Gov. Schwarzenegger and his people will probably try to spin Tuesday's vote as the defeat of reform by special interests.

This threadbare refrain has two purposes: to paint his package as more substantial and thoughtful than it was, and to reinforce his self-image as a valiant battler for truth, justice, and the American Way.

But there's no evidence that Californians would have turned thumbs down on reforms they regarded as genuine and effective. With the governor's slapdash efforts having been spurned decisively, the stage is set for new efforts to fix what's broken in state government.(emphasis mine)

Plainly, a high priority must be given to reforming the initiative process itself. It has long been an article of faith that Californians so adore their initiative rights that no tinkering is possible or wise. Tuesday's results suggest, on the contrary, that voters are fed up with the system in its current condition.

They showed mistrust at its contamination by corporate money (the prescription drug measures), at excessive complexity (electricity regulation, redistricting) and at being asked to rule on issues best suited to a legislative balancing of priorities (abortion, healthcare, energy policy).

Link [​IMG]

So, will people support a Maria Shriver revamped
    Arnold administration?

Will the iniative process be scrapped? because
    it is percieved to be flawed.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not any more or less than they do now. As the reelection years draws closer, more people will support the governor. That's what generally always happens in years from mid-term to end-of-term.
    No reason for it to be scrapped. It' been used numerous times, and will continue to be used. The only ones to seem to find flaw with it are the unions who didn't want the special election in the first place. They're still claiming that voters "didn't want" the special election, yet they ignore the fact that the special election was approved by the voters in the first place. It makes no sense for us, the voters, to approve something they didn't want.

BTW, you do realize the second article you posted was a commentary, don't you? And you realize that the LA Times is a liberal-slanted newspaper whose circulation has been in steady decline recently due to their slant?

20. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Curious JohnV and you do not have to answer it
    if you do not want too.

Are you a supporter of Arnolds?

LA TIMES is an award winning paper and both articles are legit and press the debate further.

You are welcome to link a rebutal or find a common trekkie from the street corner and ask
    their opinion. [​IMG] gig