1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

called

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PeterQ, Oct 22, 2015.

1. PeterQ

PeterQ seventyseventimes

I been called to Baptism in the Baptist tradition. I would like to minister and feel that the Baptist Church will be the way to ministry of the Word. My past denominations have been perfect from a personal Faith perspective but I feel desire to evangelise to those on the fringe and unbelievers,
    One of my first steps,,, join this forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

3. PeterQ

PeterQ seventyseventimes

I feel drawn to the Baptist Church but to be completely honest these forums have done nothing to boost my interest.I sense a feeling of elitism, who is or isnt Baptist etc and a slight harshness to responses. If you are Baptist you will ofcourse think that your way is best, but a more sensitive, welcoming attitude would seem more Christian in my eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter - how must one be saved?

5. PeterQ

PeterQ seventyseventimes

Don, thank you for responding. ..Your question sounds a bit like a theological test question...
    I do understand the subject from different denominational standpoints but not really here for in depth theological discussion just yet. ... A general welcome would have felt friendlier. Maybe this forum is not the best place for me at this stage. I will stay on a little longer however to try and get a better feel.
    yours in Christ.
    Peter

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

#6 Kevin, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MichelleVL

MichelleVL New Member

Hi Peter. I as well have practiced different denominations, and though it may sound a little unorthodox, I feel that I have found beautiful things in all of them, I respect them, and think that God has a religion perfect for each one of us individually, where we can practice the Word of God, that can lead is in the road to evangelization, make us feel closer to God, and make us feel fulfilled no matter the denomination. I'm so happy that you have embarked in such a beautiful journey and hope that you find what you are looking for. I warmly welcome you to the site and wish the best of luck to you fellow brother.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the forum, PeterQ. No one was being unfriendly to you. I, myself, had trouble understanding what you were trying to say.

Your profile says that you are "hopefully saved" and we just wanted some clarification on what you mean by saved. We would hope that you know that you are saved. Are you confident in Christ? We ask this NOT as a test question to "pass or fail" the Baptist litmus test. We really don't care about that.

We just want to hear you tell us more about what you mean. God did not create any "religions" - mankind did that. He didn't create any denominations - mankind did that. But he did provide his son, Jesus, as an atonement for our sins.

We don't unite here as Baptists to isolate ourselves (and trust me, there are more flavors of Baptist than there are Heinz varieties!). And there are a lot of people here who are not Baptist and/or from backgrounds other than Baptist.

9. matt wade

MichelleVL, your statement of faith is the following "I love my neighbors as my self, love God above all things, and practice goodwill without the expectation of praise."

I would also recommend that you read:

http://www.gotquestions.org/how-can-I-be-saved.html

I am certainly not trying to be unwelcoming to anyone, but if I see a lost person it is my duty to let them know how they can be saved.

10. PeterQ

PeterQ seventyseventimes

Thankyou so much Michelle VL. I will now put that shakey start behind me and I thank you for such a kind welcome. I signed up to the boards rather quickly and was not aware that the sign up questions wouldt be studied so hard and I admit my first post was a bit vague. I suppose I was testing the ground to see what response I might get. I will rewrite my profile.
    I was just about to close my account for fear of being put off the Baptist Church.. I feel called there but didn't want an Internet forum to have an adverse effect, so you have done a sterling job. I look forward to further communications
    Blessings.
    Peter

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter - no offense intended. It was a theological test, because you seem to want to be "trying out" the baptist denomination.

I myself am a Christian by second birth, and a baptist by conviction. Perhaps the two most important questions, in my personal be-it-ever-so-humble <grin> opinion are how must we be saved, and who do we say Jesus is?

And just a thought: scripture tells us we should always be ready with an answer. Those that are called to the preaching, especially to the pastorship--even more so.

12. PeterQ

PeterQ seventyseventimes

Thank you all. I do try to be ready with an answer when questioned about my Faith by people around me but in the confines of a Christian forum I took slight offense with your test (Don), sorry for that, I do now understand your good intentions. Thanks for your exercise.
    I'm exited to be attending Baptist Church tomorrow where I will experience for the first time two members taking baptism by immersion. I will meet two 'saved' believers.

13. matt wade

Remember that baptism has nothing to do with salvation. It is simply the first act of obedience for the Christian.

14. PeterQ

PeterQ seventyseventimes

I understand. The act of baptism in a Baptist Church does not, in itself, give you salvation - to be contrasted with Catholic sacraments which can be administered as a gift to ones children for example. It is a personal demonstration of ones conversion by the Holy Spirit into God's Kingdom.

15. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PeterQ, I hope you have a great day in the Lord tomorrow. It won't be the Baptist in the Baptist church that will provide that, but the God of the that church if they are worshipping in obedience to him.

Have a blessed day.

16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Catholics don't baptize. They ekcheoize. From the Greek word ἐκχέω meaning "to pour." :)

17. PeterQ

PeterQ seventyseventimes

A wonderful experience at the church today, I got the wrong week tho, no Baptisms till next week but presence of the Holy Spirit ......awsome,,,
    Im starting to get the idea of what you folks are all about.
    I arranged a meeting with the Pastor to get some local details.
    Thanks to all who responded on here.
    Blessings

18. james c mcbride

19. james c mcbride

Reading of matt. 3rd. Chapter my help you in some respect on understanding of the basic Bapt.principle,but only the teaching of our Lord and saviour {JESUS CHRIST}will direct you into all truth,and only on Him is faith based.

20. PeterQ

PeterQ seventyseventimes

Thank you James