1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calling Handy Men or Handy Women!!!

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SueLyn, Apr 20, 2002.

1. SueLyn

SueLyn New Member

I just went to my parents home and picked up my son's swing set, bought for him 20 years ago. It's still in pretty good shape but it needs to be painted and there is a little rust here and there. I want to now use the swing set for our grandchild and the many more that will come later down the road. My son wants me to keep it as close to the original paint as possible, two separate colors, what kind of paint do I use to paint this metal swing set and after I've sanded the rust spots, can I use Kilz as a primer? If not, what primer should I use? I plan on putting PVC caps on all openings in the pipes, to keep wasps from making their homes in them. The grandbaby will be here next weekend, so I only have this week to finish it. Help!
    Sue :eek:

[ April 20, 2002, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: SuekieLyn ]

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Sue -

The problem with spray paint is that it will take so much of it!

I've had good luck with high quality metal paints applied with a brush. Check out Rustoleum as well.

Oh, and yes, you will need a primer. Not Kilz, but a good metal primer.

- Clint

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I yield to Clint's expertise.

But make sure you have a paint made especially for metal.

5. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Yep, Rustoleum for primer and top coat. rsr points out a Kilz product for metal, I didn't know that. But you are probably familiar with the common Kilz, which is only good for wood. Metal paint and wood paint are entirely separate products.

If there are small spots that are extra-rusty there are products in an auto store that will stop it and can be painted over.

6. SueLyn

SueLyn New Member

Thanks, I had never thought of Rustoleum. My husband thought I was crazy for wanting to paint it with a brush, I was actually thinking about just going with the spray paint, and just telling my son it was the best I could do. Thanks Jim, I'd forgotten all about checking with an auto parts house, many, many years ago (when I was 16 :eek: ) I sanded and primed a 55' Plymouth, my brother-in-law had helped he to buy the stuff to use, and showed me how to use it.
    Thanks, again...I'll probably get started on this Monday. :D
    Sue

7. Joy

Joy New Member

You can also rent paint sprayers from your local hardware store either by the hour or by the day! Then you can use the paint that comes by the quart or gallon, but with the ease of a spray can!

My husband sand-blasted an old metal bed, and then primed it and painted it an enamel white, using spray cans. It turned out absolutely beautiful. Who would've known that an old flat brown, rusty bed would've turned out so pretty! And it was free-given too us from my brother-in-law cause he thought it was junk! :D

8. SueLyn

SueLyn New Member

I love getting old stuff, it's usually not that hard making it look like new again, fun too.
    Did your husband rent the sand blaster? Was it very expensive? I suppose it would be a lot faster than sanding by hand. We really have to paint our house this summer, and we've thought about renting a spray painter. Our house is brick, so there is very little wood to paint, but it all very high also. And I'd still be using the brush on the shutters and trim, my husband would be using the spray painter. ;)
    Sue

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    CAVEAT - If you are like me and have had a mechanical bypass earlier in life, do not use a rented paint sprayer. Get the cans and pay a coupla extra bucks. [​IMG]

The horror stories I could tell . . . :eek: