1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calling this Pastor

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jul 4, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If you are talking about my response, I did not mean it to come across that way.

2. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

No sn, your post wasn't sarcastic.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is an appropriate time to call people out publically. This was not one of them.

If you're calling somebody out because they're unrepentant and counsel and calls for repentance have gone unheeded, that's one thing. But it's pretty clear that this guy just had an axe to grind.

What's more calling somebody out should be the very last resort and should always be done lovingly and humbly and with the ultimate goal of restoration, not just to embarrass somebody or to unload on them.

He needs to be sat down and counseled.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Answering and reproving your post Scripturally isn't sarcasm.

5. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

I think I will have to watch more of his videos, to watch how often he corrects others for "nodding off." Who knows? it could be something he doesn't always address.

I have only seen the one sermon, and heard news interviews that clearly don't broadcast everything in its proper context. After watching the entire one hour sermon, I really did not see a problem with his rebukes.

Everyone around the "boy" could see him nodding off. The pastor aroused him, pointing out that he was looking after the boys spiritual well-being. Nothing wrong with that, imo. I might have done the same thing if I was the pastor.

As to Mister Underwood, the man who wanted the pastor to marry him, that may or may not have been the proper time to address that man. Maybe the pastor had tried to reach him before and the man always avoided him. I know if I was laying out of Church, and the pastor was trying to contact me, I would probably avoid him... knowing the rebuke he might have for me.

The young man in the video room? The pastor was looking back toward the room at the time he gave that rebuke. Maybe he saw youth back there and felt he had to address that issue. My guess is he didn't see youth at that time, or no doubt he would have called those youth out of the room and into the congregation where they belonged.

Maybe the pastor had already talked with these "offenders" in the past privately, we don't know. But if their offense was open and obvious, as Mister Underwood's was, I see no problem with addressing it openly.

According to 1 Timothy, pastors that sin are to be rebuked before all. Why not congregants that clearly are in sin?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This character reminds me of a wife beater...after he has kicked the tar out of his wife, he goes back & tells her that he is sorry & he really loves her!

A guy like this ought not to be operating as a pastor....also keep him away from kids & animals.

7. preacher4truth

It's interesting that Steadfast Fred agrees with the behavior of this pastor here in the video but when his biblical evidence fails which he uses out of context to support said behavior, or is shown as not rightly handling the Word, he claims the ones who show this to him as being 'sarcastic'.

Just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

8. preacher4truth

He's 'important' (or so he says).

Not so rare behavior of IFB's in Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas and other places.

'Touch not God's annointed!' :type:

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we could fire him though, right! :thumbsup:

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Matthew 18:15–20
    If Your Brother Sins Against You
    15 “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, qtell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

1 Corinthians 5:1–5
    Sexual Immorality Defiles the Church
    5 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father’s wife. 2 And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you.
    3 For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. 4 When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, 5 you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.

These are the instructions for church discipline and neither gives the pastor the authority to rebuke individuals openly in the presence of other believers. These are instructions to the church, not the pastor.

11. Gib

Gib Active Member

Our sound technician is 12. He's been running the sound for about 2 years now. His dad ran it before him. He has never tried to establish his own kingdom in the sound booth. Most of the issues coming from the sound booth are the adult(s) running the media software.

I did stop the service once and asked Bart what was going on back there. He pointed at the 12 year old and the 12 year old pointed at him. We all had a good laugh and proceeded to the offertory hymn.

12. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I am assuming you meant that comment in jest. Of course you know that the "peacefull" option would be the best one.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would they be singing "The Tie that Binds":saint: :applause:

14. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I've seen a few posts that keep saying "Typical IFB attitude" or something along those lines. As far as I can tell, the church is SBC. Or am I missing something?

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Just reposting what I said in the other thread.

I just watched the video. And I must say, at first glance, I would say that this is a pastor who has probably pastored this church for 15, 20, or even 25+ years. He speaks like he's a member of a family who really loves them so he's openly rebuking them and giving them God's truth.

Asking you Sapper Woody because by the avatar, I think you would probably know better than the rest of us. Do drill sergeants do what he did?

For those of you whose kids play sports, do the coaches get in their faces like that?

I'm just asking because people will endure a lot of things that have nothing to do with Christ that far exceed a rebuke. But Pastor Stanridge looks to be openly rebuking folks that he genuinely loves and everyone jumps on him because he's fed up with the disrespect and the flippancy with which so many folks come and act like they are worshiping.

Unless I see something else, I don't think I really have that much of a problem with this video.

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Exactly. We don't know if he has. That's why I still say that I just don't really have a problem with what he did based upon what I saw in the video.

Do people on this board use the same manner of dealing with those they believe to have wronged them or do they automatically let into them with insults?

He doesn't seem to be insulting but rather caring about members of his family to the point that he refuses to publicly letthem continue to get away with these things.

#56 Zaac, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013