1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calling Upon the Name of the Lord

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by adisciplinedlearner, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adisciplinedlearner
    The New Testament baptismal texts show that people were baptized in order to become Christians, not because they already were Christians. They were baptized in order to receive a double cure from the disease called sin, namely, the remission of sins and the reception of the Holy Spirit.

Your inept responses expose your doctrine as heretical and unbiblical as there is not ONE PASSAGE in all of Scripture you can show or produce where either repentance or faith did not occur BEFORE baptism.

Your doctrine, your interpretation requires, demands, necessitates that both gospel repentance and faith occur IN baptism and not before and you admit it:

Yes, Romans 10:10 is carried out in baptism, during which a sinner repents, believes, and confesses Christ - adisciplelearner

However, the most significant admission of your error is your own inability or unwillingness to tell the truth about YOUR OWN TESTIMONY given before that pastor/church for you to be considered for baptism! The proof is in the pudding, isn't it??

2. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Yes, Romans 10:10 is carried out in baptism, during which a sinner repents, believes, and confesses Christ - adisciplelearner

Show ONE BIBLICAL TEXT where gospel repentance and faith did not occur before baptism in the book of Acts?

3. billwald

billwald New Member

>We are converted to the Lord Jesus Christ

We are converted to the Lord Jesus Christ after we are regenerated and realize that Jesus died for out sins.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Romans 8 says:

"For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so; and those who are in the flesh cannot please God."

So how can the flesh please God? It can't.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Gotquestions.org has a great question:

If baptism is necessary for salvation, why would Paul have said, “I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius” (1 Corinthians 1:14)? Why would he have said, “For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power” (1 Corinthians 1:17)? Granted, in this passage Paul is arguing against the divisions that plagued the Corinthian church. However, how could Paul possibly say, “I am thankful that I did not baptize…” or “For Christ did not send me to baptize…” if baptism were necessary for salvation? If baptism is necessary for salvation, Paul would literally be saying, “I am thankful that you were not saved…” and “For Christ did not send me to save…” That would be an unbelievably ridiculous statement for Paul to make. Further, when Paul gives a detailed outline of what he considers the gospel (1 Corinthians 15:1-8), why does he neglect to mention baptism? If baptism is a requirement for salvation, how could any presentation of the gospel lack a mention of baptism?

6. adisciplinedlearner

adisciplinedlearner New Member

As Paul preached the gospel, he called upon his hearers to repent, believe, and confess Christ in baptism, in keeping with the Great Commission. He did not personally baptize every person who obeyed the gospel under his preaching, but he delegated this baptizing work to other Christians who assisted him in his work.

When Paul said, "Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel," he meant that his top priority was gospel preaching, not baptismal administration. Christ sent all of His apostles to preach, baptize, and teach, so Paul did not mean this statement in an absolute sense, but only in a relative or comparative sense.

Paul was strongly opposed to the schisms that existed in the church at Corinth, and he was glad that he had not baptized a lot of people there who might have looked to him as the leader of their party or incipient denomination. I doubt if he regarded these carnal human beings as true Christians, and he did not want to add to the number of false professors.

Baptism is not mentioned in I Corinthians 15:1-8, but we openly identify ourselves with the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ when we confess Him in baptism. I Corinthians 12:13 teaches us that we are baptized into the one body of Christ, which is the New Covenant people of God. Becoming part of the New Covenant people of God has to do with salvation.

7. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Your completely misinterpreting this text and completing ignoring the reason Paul gives for placing the emphasis on the gospel rather than baptism. That reason destroys your interpretation and doctrine:

I Cor. 1:17 ¶ For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
    18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

The power of God for salvation is not in the administration of baptism but in the PREACHING of the gospel. However, you position denies this. You claim that only IN the administration of baptism is gospel repentance and faith ENABLED to save.

Secondly, who is Paul? Is he not an APOSTLE whose very mission is to give witness to Christ and the gospel of salvation IN Christ? If gospel faith and repentance is inseparable from baptism then the administration is inseparable from preaching the gospel as the gospel would only have efficacy IN baptism.

This text exposes your teaching for what it is - heresy.