1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvin and Heros of the Reformation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Lets try a thread on Calvin from a different angle, and I could learn a lot. Knox, Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, and others were great leaders of the Reformation. Why does Calvin stand out among the rest? Is it just the doctrines of grace and sovereignty, like some of the others believed, or is there something else?

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is interesting. I for one would like to hear the answers to the question, which by the way is a good question. Why is Calvin standing out among the rest of the Reformers ?

I googled John Knox, and came on this item in his Scot Confession:

interesting. comes a little but not quite close to what I as a PB believe.

3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Knox was obviously a Trekie.

Calvin moved to Switzerland.

Case closed. :laugh:

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Zwingli held to most of the doctrines of grace and sovereignty, sort of a forerunner to Calvin. Some of the articles say Calvin completed what he started. Zwingli believed in only practicing life style issues that were clearly in the Bible and the common person interpreting the Bible for himself.

Other articles say Zwingli and Luther agreed on very little theologically. Zwingli thought Luther was still driven by traditions of the Catholic church.

5. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's a Trekie ?

Thjey sound like Baptists, eh wot ?

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I think it was R. C. Sproul (or Jr.) who wrote that Calvin was little more than a footnote to Luther on the doctrines of grace.

7. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Murdering someone always gets you famous to a degree, especially when it is public execution.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is it just me, or does zwingliism not sound right? I'm glad it's called calvinism and not zwingliism.

9. skypair

skypair Active Member

Here's a related "press to test" --- where are the Reform martyrs for their faith??

skypair

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, since I do not have the gift of Divine insight as some here seem to have, I do not know for sure. My guess is that they are with the Lord.

11. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been doing a little reading up on Calvin, the Reformation, and other reformers.

For now, what I can see, or deduce, is that there was a confluence of events that favored Calvin, historically.

1. There was a growing disenchantment with the Roman Catholic church so that "Reformers", those who want to reform the Catholic church from within, although not ruling out breaking away from it, were scattered all over Europe;

2. While Zwingle and others were equally as known as Calvin, for the most part, these were theologians (Calvin was a lawyer by training, I believe) who had no wish or were not inclined to a theocracy. Zwingle, I understand, believed more on letting the individual interpret Scripture for himself and obey Scripture according to his interpretation of it;

3. Calvin, because of a war going on (isn't humanity always at war ?) detoured to Geneva, and Geneva, was considered the strongest bastion of Protestantism in his time. While initially failing to set up a theocracy, when the Libertines got out of power, Calvin and his group came into power, and proceded to set up his theocratic rule, marrying state and church, and Geneva being a sort of "center" for things spiritual and intellectual, with people coming and going from everywhere, and Calvin being a prolific writer, and well known preacher, he quickly became popular, and his theology brought out from Geneva.

4. Going back to google now.

12. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Not this again...

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

RB,
    I agree with you this time. The whole purpose of this thread is to examine why Calvin stood out among the other Reformers. It is not about Calvinism or the free will thing. For instance, Calvin was much more interested in reforming society than Zwingli. It appears that Calvin took some of Zwingli's ideas and put them into practice.

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

My real question was "ARE THERE ANY?" I mean, besides Servinus? Oh, that's right. He was slain by Calvinists. :tear:

skypair

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Moderators, please close this thread. I should have known better.

Skypair, you are about the same caliber as the two on the other side. There is no difference. You are here merely to stir the pot.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Closed on request

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.