1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvin and Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know what he said...I need to know the INTENT of his statement. Was he being facetious? Hyperbolic? Literal?

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

i think you have said what you want.

Thanks

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

So...the same gospel it is.

1) Now, I base my belief on the Bible.

2) It is my guess you do as well.

Do you agree with 1 and 2? Forget what logos said....what do you think?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why do I have to agree with one and two when two covers both? :)

Of course I base my belief on the Bible. The Bible teaches that the Gospel (the good news) is salvation by grace through faith.

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

and again just for the record..

Calvinist believe sola scriptura too?

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

At times :)

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No...a false idea of the atonement says that Christ died for all men..
    false in that it denys the covenant of God.

This teaching is correct because it agrees with Jn 6:37-44.....which Jesus came down from heaven to explain to us.....if Calvin read this verse and believed it, or others referred to as Calvinists also believe this ....it is not a bad thing.

If you do not believe this "gospel".....you need to keep serching it out.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

As one who used to believe this, limited atonement has to be read into that text.

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

again, I believe you said what you want.

Thanks

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sure there was a point in all of that trying to prove how a systematic theology explaining the Bible is somehow morphed into being the actual Bible, but I guess we will never know...

I'll go cry in my soup now :)

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin and Scripture:

Calvin's Commentaries:
    Jacob did not kiss Rachel till he had informed her that he was her relative.

Genesis 29:11-12a ESV
    Then Jacob kissed Rachel and wept aloud. And Jacob told Rachel that he was her father's kinsman

12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

The point of the tread is to see how non-Calvinist view Calvinist.

So far we know that non-Calvinist believe that Calvinist see Calvin's words is higher than the Holy Spirit's words. You have not denied this.
    And...AT TIMES..but not all the time, Calvinist hold to sola scriptura. Your words. I guess the other times they worship Calvin.

Got it.

#32 Jarthur001, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
  13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

so ...which one is right?

Scripture or Calvin?

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the gospel say that all men realized their salvation the moment Christ died?
    BTW it takes more than the death of Christ for salvation.

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Does that in bold mean is, was or will be? Do the scriptures imply that just because Christ died for all men that all men are presently being called by God for salvation. In Acts 15:14 and I assume this started on day of Pentecost following the resurrection and will continue up the coming of Jesus, that God is calling out from among. It does not say he is calling all and some are believing. Keep reading, after this calling he will return verse 16. Why? Verse 17 So the residue of men might seek. Those not called before might seek. Now look close at just who they are seeking. Not just Jesus the Lord but they are seeking the Lord and those called for his name. The same thing is said in Joel 2:32 only there those for who his name are called the remnant and the Lord the deliverer. Notice this is after the return of the Lord.
    That is when whosoever will may come. The called in this age are called for a purpose other yet including salvation.

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

This thread will come in handy some day.

BOOKMARK :)

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh really? I thought it was to bring to light your spitting match with logos.
    Huh? Non calvinists believe Calvin over the Holy Spirit? :confused: That's absurd.
    I said that in jest, but considering you add a :) to things you are serious about, I can see where you would be confused.
    Oh we did. Since calvinism is the Gospel, "I guess" non cal's don't believe the Gospel.

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

You are right. It is absurd. :)

And how about Calvinist?

Do you feel like they believe Calvin over the Holy Spirt? :)

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Calvin did not package T.U.L.I.P. The Synod of Drt concluded 55 years after his death and the mnemonic device came about years after that.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't want to hear one word of complaint from you about those nasty Calvinists and their unkind remarks as long as you resort to the language of "two different gospels."That's reprehensible.

Multitudes of folks have been saved under the preaching of unadulterated Calvinistic Gospel preaching through the centuries. since they have been saved from the wrath to come -- that means it was THE Gospel. True biblical Calvinistic preaching is certainly not being referenced in Gal.1:8 and 9.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theologian Of The Holy Spirit --Not Lord Of The Same

The following extracts are taken from B.B.Warfield's 1909 article called :John Calvin The Theologian Of the Holy Spirit

"...we must say that the doctrine of the work of the Holy Spirit is a gift from Calvin to the Church. It was he who first related the whole experience of salvation specifically to the working of the Holy Spirit,worked it out into its details,contemplated its several steps and stages in orderly progress as the product of the Holy Spirit's specific work in applying salvation to the soul.Thus he gave systematic and adequate expression to the whole doctrine of the Holy Spirit and made it the assured possession of the Church of God."

Warfield concludes with:

"Here then is probably Calvin's greatest contribution to theological development. In his hands,for the first time in the history of the Church,the doctrine of the Holy Spirit comes to its rights. into the heart of none more than into his did the vision of the glory of God shine, and no one has been more determined than he not to give the glory of God to another. Who has been more devoted than he to the Saviour,by whose blood he has been bought? But, above everything else,it is the sense of the sovereign working of salvation by the almighty power of the Holy Spirit which characterizes all Calvin's thought of God. And above everything else he deserves,therefore, the great name of the theologian of the Holy Spirit."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.