1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvin missed this aspect of Foreknowledge

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alfred Persson., Sep 17, 2007.

1. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think he's good. He definitely believed in and stated very clearly that the Bible teaches election and predestination and made no bones about it.

He also said God was Sovereign and man was subject.

Don't know why you'd avoid a guy like that.

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I can't say for sure. The paraphrase you gave sounded weird. I poked around slightly on the net for his views regarding these doctrines. I don't think he is correct if I am understanding him correctly.

3. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

Tell you what, you be nice about McGee and I won't say anything about your avatar's girl/hippie haircut. Deal? Just kidding.

But seriously....

If you want an audio file of his sermon, PM me your email address and I'll condence it and email it to you. You have a highspeed connection, no?

#43 Jkdbuck76, Sep 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2007
  4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I can't listen to stuff at work and I will be playing Halo 3 all night. So hold off on his mamby pamby girlie whirlie doctrine. He's not on Sermon Audio so he must be a girlie man preacher. :laugh: :laugh:

Is that nice enough?

5. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

Well...he was from Texas.

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

:)

Good one

Now back to the facts. :) If we say that Foreknowing means only that God knows before hand, why is Cain not saved?

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

it changes nothing nor adds nothing. Do your homework. This is the meaning.

Now you are right God does know beforehand. But this is not the meaning of the text. If it were, all of mankind would be saved. Because..

For whom he did foreknow, ....and God knows all things, all men and all hearts.
    ....he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

So it is clear it means more then just knowing beforehand. :)

You said above..
    I can prove and backup my statement from the Greek. Now...will you ADD information to the word, in order to make it fit your doctrine? :)

Does foreknow mean only ...."to know beforehand"?

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

That was kinda demeaning to all women. Men can be intimidated just as much as women. If I bullying someone by asking them what a word means, what have you done in your hate toward Calvinism?

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

The 'Ledger' illistration is no different than Spurgeons "Door in Heaven"

Above the Door (as you are entering) "Whosoever will"
    Above the Door (looking back once in) "Elect before the foundation of the World"
    :)

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

Jarthur -- the text obviously leaves OUT those that He did not "forelove." You are confusing yourself with the issues that a) He foreknows everything and b) Paul is restricting his discussion here to those whom God foreloved as being saved.

Why wouldn't it? Where do you get the notion that it need mean anything more?

skypair

11. skypair

skypair Active Member

See, you always color the truth, don't you? Do you see Lets back? Do you know Lets was a man? Do you acknowledge differences between the sexes? And do you have ANY self awareness of others' perceptions of your tone?

skypair