1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvin vs Satan

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by vooks, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Oh, quote Calvin scholars to show the truth about Calvin. That would be like quoting RCC scholars to show the truth about the papacy.

All objective sources show the truth about Calvin and his Geneva theocracy. No amount of bias, writhing, squirming, false accusations, twisting, and denying can change objective, historical facts. Those facts are there in print for anyone to read.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There have been many threads on this topic. Historical sources and various historians and "scholars" have been quoted ad infinitum. When that is accomplished they are summarily dismissed by Rippon for one reason or another.

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

IOW, no matter what the evidence is, or how much of it is piled up before Rippon, "he will not be convinced."

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Cavin scholars are not Calvinists.The Calvin scholars are from various church backgrounds and time periods. That proves you haven't an inkling by putting them all in one camp.
    I agree. I have provided quotes from several dozen Calvin scholars/Church historians. You have not yet come up to bat.

Provide your documentation from two dozen honest Church historians/Calvin scholars regarding the authority Calvin had in Geneva.

As the old saying goes : Put up or shut up.

The clock is ticking.

#23 Rippon, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I had done the heavy-lifting in that respect.
    I don't dismiss my own scholarly sources.

At one point, in one of the threads, you said that all I supplied were names. I had given dozens of quotes yet you didn't read them --names only you said. You are a card.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is a great quote. :laugh::laugh:

I think I heard something similar by a Oneness Pentecostal some time ago.

6. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Yes, for purposes of validity, it's important to agree with oneself. :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:

7. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

The clock has stopped for you, as you are stuck in theocratic Geneva with your dead hero, the murdering despot Calvin.

I have posted lots of evidence, as everybody here knows --
    factual and objective, historical and scholarly.

#27 Rebel, Jun 25, 2015
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My sources --several dozen Calvin scholars/Church historians. I don't invent quotes.

You need to do what I have requested multiple times. Are you chicken? What's holding you back?

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was no theocracy in Geneva as multiplied quotes have demonstrated.
    Chuckle.

#29 Rippon, Jun 25, 2015
  10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Ain't that the truth! :laugh:

We all know that. It was the devil that reigned not God.
    Calvin was a dictator. The Council simply carried out his wishes.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nonsense. You have been proven wrong over and over on that score. Do what I asked Rebel to do: Produce quotes from two dozen Church history scholars regarding the extent of John Calvin's authority in Geneva.
    That's not true. Why, if he had the power of a dictator were many of his requests denied?

You need to substantiate your reckless assertions.

Pretend you are an adult and produce some quotes from reputable scholars concerning the authority John Calvin had in Geneva.

If you are unable to do so then you are simply being obnoxious.

12. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All this bickering over a man who died over 400 years ago? He has left this world, and no amount of debating his life will change his eternal state. Guys, please let this go, both sides, please.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Line In The Sand

It is necessary because it is a testimony against those who are willing to lie about him with not a touch of conscience. They think that if enough evil can be gathered against him then the thelogy of Calvinism will fail. But the biblical expression of scriptural doctrines called Calvinism is not dependent upon the man of Geneva. Its source is the Word of God. Besides, there were many others who believed as John Calvin did --such as Bucer and Beza to name only two.

It is remarkable how depraved some are here who pass along lies as easily as the meat and potatoes at meal time. They have no compunction to say the most horrendous things of their strawman that they call John Calvin. The real John Calvin is a world apart from their severe misrepresentations.

Some of them get up in a pulpit and preach. They may even denounce lying. But they are hypocrites. These members practice mendacity as easily as breathing.

I issued a challenge and it has still been unmet. They would rather toss mud then humbly tell the truth. I have given quotes from dozens of John Calvin/Church scholars in past threads. Some have said that they know of the authors --but still they do not relent.

My souces are not monolithic. They come from various backgrounds and time periods. Some have been Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, atheistic etc. That's a rather broad range. So they did not meet in collaboration. ;-)

It takes a man --a Christian man, to admit that he has been wrong. Some speak out of ignorance and others with intent to promote falsehoods.

One can hate what he thinks Calvinism is --but to lie about what they believe is still a lie. One can detest what one thinks of Mormonism. But to misrepresent it is still lying. It subverts your testimony and Mormons will certainly not listen to you once they find out that you have spoken falsely.

Be careful what you say. Don't speak off-the-cuff. Research the life of John Calvin from honest historians who tell his story with warts and all. As a professing Christian your words that show up on a computer screen and stays there for ages is a public witness to your character --or lack of it.

I await the day when someone will have the humility to tell me and others here --that it was sinful to say wicked things about the man just to promote an anti-Calvinist agenda. I await the day when someone, or some people, will say it is time to tell the truth --even if it hurts and goes against much of their background and tradition.

#33 Rippon, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  14. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I know what you are saying.

But the reason I respond is because there is something in me that simply will not let blatant dishonesty and falsehood go unchallenged. Further, I feel an obligation to stand up for those who were persecuted and murdered at the hands of theocrats.

15. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

The truth is this: I and others have posted loads of objective, factual, historical evidence of the situation of Calvin in Geneva. This is irrefutable evidence.

Rippon would not even respond. That silence speaks volumes.

#35 Rebel, Jun 26, 2015
  16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have not been proven wrong. I have produced numerous quotes in the past. I shall produce a couple again. But as in the past you, no doubt, will not like the sources I post, and therefore will summarily dismiss them.
    I have no evidence that his requests were denied.
    You mean, for example, If I were defending Roman Catholicism I should use RCC sources. That is really what you want me to do. Defeat myself??

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

This comes from J.T. Christian's book, A History of the Baptists. The above is a discussion simply on the mode of baptism carried out at that time. The context of the quotes given should tell you that. But within that context you can see the attitude (one which he literally carried out), that Baptists should be drowned for their "heresy."
    This chapter is discussing the history of Baptists in England, and the influence that Calvin and his writings had there. He had a very kind and positive influence (just like Christ would have had) didn't he?

17. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guys, the man has been dead for ~450 years. Please let this go. You are being devisive over a subject that know one truly knows what transpired between Calvin and Arminius. Both sides post 'historians' who are 'experts' in what transpired. You're getting your dander up over someone dead for ~450 years?

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man! Your knowledge of Church History is suspect with that line. Arminius was almost four when Calvin died.
    Church historians have access to archives and records of eye-witnesses.

#38 Rippon, Jun 26, 2015
  19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man you have been steamrolled over and over.
    Your memory is poor.

Again, Calvin was not a member of any of the three Councils in Geneva. He was with the Consistory which handled ecclesiastical matters.The most "power" Calvin had was to excommunicate Church members. But even that was denied him a number of times --the Council wanted that authority.

Basil Hall :"...the records of Geneva show him plainly to have been the servant of its Council which on many occasions rejected out of hand."

In August of 1553 he asked the Council for allowing him to resign. The request was denied --even though his enemies constiuted the majority of the Council.

In Ocotober of the same year he pleaded with the Council not to burn Servetus to burn. The request was denied.

Some dictator! ;-)

Your reply is below.
    Are you confused? Just furnish some quotes from reputable scholars concerning the authority John Calvin had in Geneva. That is a simple request.