1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinism - a "house of cards'

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by BobRyan, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

That Reformed explanation still doesn't make any sense since it pleads that God is long-suffering desiring the repentance of the "elect" only....

But that's not what Peter says:
    Peter says (very straight-forwardly) that God is long-suffering desiring that NONE should perish but that ALL should come to repentance. This is a completely un-qualified "All".

The Calvinist explanation is claiming that God is long-suffering "to us-ward" (meaning only the elect) because God desires that "no elect" should perish but that all of (the elect only) should come to repentance. That is pure assumption.

It's obvious eisegesis from any objective standpoint. No normal human would read that and think that Peter is saying anything akin to what the determinists are claiming here. You HAVE to have your determinist glasses in place in order to read that into Peter's statements.

#41 Inspector Javert, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
  2. Inspector Javert

Exactly...
    It is clear that God waited in Noah's day so that he could be a preacher of righteousness. So that God could give wicked men time to repent.

The determinist view is that God only ever intended to save eight to begin with and no more, but sent Noah, Enoch, and used Methuselah, to be a warning to people God never intended to save in the first place. Who were they to be a warning to pray-tell? Themselves? Who was Noah to preach to? Himself and his own family? Who was Methuselah a living warning to? The eight persons who were already covered?

If the God of determinism is anything......it's full of hollow words, meaningless warnings, false emotional grand-standing and intentional inefficiency.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a Calvinist but I do not believe this is true, at least on this board. In fact it is just plain false. Taking a snipet from another thread to make that point is not helpful to your claim. My experience on this board is in fact just the opposite.

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brothers winman and IJ, God has seen the end from the beginning and vice versa. Ten millions years from now, He's there. He knows everyone that is His even then at that point. TBS, He is long-suffering, patient, knowing those who are His, and in His time, He will complete His salvific work in their lives.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you ever so much Brother!! BTW, are you feeling better? My prayers are with you my Brother.......

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not yet. I am having trouble keeping my o2 levels up. I am always gasping for air especially when I try to sleep. I have been up most of the night only catnapping along the way. And I just feel terrible all over.

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Did they give you an antibiotic and either lasics or HCTZ(fluid removal pills)?

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They ran two bags of fluids with anti biotics in them before the let me leave the eroom. And I am on a 5 day zpac. I am supposed to follow up with my doc this week.

9. Inspector Javert

Hi brother! :wavey:
    I agree with all of these statements. Be assured so does Winman, that's rote Orthodoxy the denial of which would be sheer heresy. But, that is not unique to Calvinism.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beware...that took me a long time to get over...especially because it triggered my asthma ...I hope you don't have that aggrivating the condition.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, Calvinism is plain silly. That may be an insult, but it is 100% true. You have God calling for men to repent that he has no intention of regenerating. That makes God appear to be mentally unbalanced, or a complete phony.

I find it difficult to believe that the average Calvinist does not have great inner conflict with their own doctrine, any thoughtful person easily recognizes how illogical and irrational it is.

And if you cannot see how illogical and irrational it is, you have some serious deficiency in logic.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right it is an insult.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

And it is 100% true.

Pro 27:6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

A true friend will tell you the truth even if it hurts, while an enemy will tell you what you want to hear to deceive you.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irrelevant...................

15. Inspector Javert

It is not an insult to call an un-Biblical Theological system "silly".

16. Inspector Javert

It is relevant.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only is it an insult but it is completely unnecessary.

18. Inspector Javert

Winman: Geo-centrism is silly
    Revmitchel: That's an insult

All humans in the known Universe: Oh, o.k. :rolleyes:

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you can call it what you want to. But it is that attitude that causes so much vitrol on this board. So make your excuses by the way winman made it clear he did not care to be nice. So not sure what you are defending.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

How is saying Calvinism is silly any worse than saying it is illogical and irrational? I would consider that a greater insult.

Calvinism teaches that God in his own chosen time regenerates his elect. Fine. So why would God have to be longsuffering with them?

If God is waiting in this view, he is waiting on himself. That is ridiculous.

It is hard not to insult such an absurd view, there is no way to be nice about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.