1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism and Evangelism

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by 4His_glory, May 31, 2006.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I know that somthing similar to this was discussed in this forum not to long ago, but I would like to address the common misconception that Calvinism kills evangelism and missions. All that I ask is that non-Calvinists be fair in their criticism and judgemnt of what is commonly called Calvinism. One does not need to agree with Calvinism, but they must be honest in their arguments. It can be historically proven that Calvinism does not kill evangelistic efforts but the opposite is true.

Consider this quote by Princton theologica B.B. Warfeild, a true fundamentalist of his day who stuanchly defend the truth against modernism:

Here is a Gospel plea by one of the greatest evangelists in chruch history admired by Calvinists and non-Calvinists alike, George Whitefield:

Other notable men could be pointed out as well such as Carey, Judson, Spurgeon, and Brainered. We could examine the great histories of early Baptist church planting efforts by the Philadelphia Association and the Sandy Creek association both throughly Calvinistic in their soteriology.

Since I know non-calvinist wish to be honest in their arguments, I trust they will be completly honest when it comes to this matter of Calvinism and evangelism/missions, and recognize that the common argument of ignorance is not permissible.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Well, don't you think God is better at saving souls that man is?

So why would it "kill missions"

What it does kill is Rick Warren style ministries.

There are two problems, dead beats that call themselves calvinists that confuse the issue and then there are the non-Calvanists who are too proud to admit that they didn't save anyone.
    I was certianly not raised Calvinist and I still don't know that I agree with everything Calvin wrote, but when I read what the Bible actually says about God's sovereignty, I had no choice but to realize I had been wrong.