1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism and how to discuss it without debate

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by S0l0m0n, Dec 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please see the history of the religious wars, circa 1400-1800.
    I think that you have man-made religion confused with the faith once delivered unto the saints ( Jude 1:3 ).

From my research,
    The religious establishment of the day was so "anti-Calvinist" that they tortured thousands, and burned further thousands at the stake for heresy.
    If you think that what happened at Geneva under John Calvin was bad, try looking at what happened in England, France and Spain at the hands of the "anti-Calvinist" authorities during that time period.

In addition, please see the Canons of Trent:
    ~The Council of Trent - Session 6~

I encourage you to educate yourself, MB...

I think It will help to avoid future mis-characterizations of those you call "Calvinists".
    Finally, I know of no one on this board who identifies with John Calvin or his teachings, as being their source of biblical understanding and doctrine.
    Rather, all the ones that I have seen who post in favor of God saving whom He wills, confesses Scripture as their only guide.;)

May God be pleased you bless you with many things, especially the ability to discern between truth and error.:)

#21 Dave G, Dec 22, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure if the conclusion is really true. A false conclusion is still false.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd prefer leaving logic where it belongs, myself...
    In the garbage can.;)

Let's just stick to God's word by faith.:)

4. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And, of course, the one who is being put in their place will always say the conclusion was false. :p

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does that mean being put in their place?

6. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take it how you want it ;)

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Calvinism is false doctrine, to ask for it to be "tolerated" is bogus.

If Calvinism is true, why is it defended by ITL arguments 1-5?

8. S0l0m0n

S0l0m0n Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And going back to the thread's topic...

Would the Admins enforce at least what atpollard suggested?

Then a Calvinist could post in the 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' forum without the thread degenerating to down to the 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' level; with all the constructive ideas and edification being thrown out the window.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good luck with that. It will be a mess.

10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They object to being called "Arminian" because they are not Arminian. About half the particular Baptist object to the term Calvinist.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am only speaking for myself (not for the @Squire Robertsson or any other member), but I see pro’s and con’s to this type of thinking.

The pros are that it will allow Calvinists to discuss issues within Calvinism (e.g., sublapsarian and infralapsarian, covenant theology and dispensationalism within Reformed Theology, etc).

But I think that there are important negatives to keep in mind – primarily that it is always dangerous to seek an echo chamber in examining doctrine. Often those who hold opposing views hold a view you will never hold – BUT this does not mean their observations are necessarily irrelevant or should not be carefully considered. For example, there would be no Reformed Baptists if Baptists had not considered Reformed doctrine OR Reformed Christians had not considered baptistic thought (depending on how you think it occurred).

This is a Baptist Board (we have a section open to other faiths, but for the most part the discussion is within a Baptist context). My personal view is that this is narrow enough (except perhaps we could move the topic to the Baptist section of the forum). There are forums dedicated to Calvinism, Arminianism, “Classic Calvinism”, Reformation Arminianism, Wesylean Arminianism, Compatabilism, etc. Just making a Calvinism non-Calvinism is not good enough (there are far too many positions if we want to get specific, and Calvinism is not the measuring stick).

And, @tyndale1946 , I was here long before you came to the forum (two days, but they were long days :p ).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. S0l0m0n

S0l0m0n Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate the insight. (And maybe an entire forum may be too much; I'm not trying to 'reform' things here. Mostly, I'm asking if boundaries for certain discussions are possible.)
    Also, not to be too repetitive, but...
    would something like atpollard's idea be easier to implement and keep order in?

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its likely you will not get anyone to change the board itself but you could try what he said. Warning though anytime I have tried to set the topic very barrow people ignore it and become agitated when you insist. For example if you want to talk about a change of heart someone is likely to start talking about heart surgery insisting its on topic because you mentioned "heart".

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose it would work, but I am not sure where it would end. We have IFB and SBC folk who have specific interests within their respective groups. We have Calvinists but not all non-Calvinisrt are Arminians. And there are disoensationalists, Covenant theologians, and the inbetween. I just do not know that it is workable.

We could (and have) had threads specifically for a particular purpose (e. g., Reformed only). But the problem is that others may read, learn, and question what is posted.

These are just thoughts (not an answer in any form).

Years ago I wanted a section for debates where participants were held accountable to an academic standard (moderator check fallacies, presuppositions are declared, assumptions evidenced, ect.). But I know that would not work either.

15. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If any of these changes are instituted it will be the moderators who will have to police it.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. (My bright idea was before I was a moderator. In hindsight it was a terrible idea).

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO, the temperature of the debate would lower if
    • folks didn't treat the debate as a zero-sum matter. Where there is only a winner and a loser. And the winner only accepts unconditional surrenders. This is Baptist Board, not WW2.
    • folks realize forests of trees and oceans of ink have been already used in the debate over the last four hundred plus years by both sides. So, we aren't going to resolve the debate in this life.
    • Which brings me to folks on both sides love the Lord and are bought with His blood. They both seek with all their hearts to know and obey His Word. If either side of the debate was as clear as its supporters say it is there would be no debate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you noticed those who attack Calvinism do so based on ignorance?

They cannot see it so they say it doesn't exist in scripture. This alone lowers the bar on hubris.

The Russian cosmonauts did this too while orbiting earth for the first time. They didn’t see God so they said he doesn’t exist.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave, not every critic of Calvinism is ignorant. I have engaged the topic with those on the opposite side who were well-informed, articulate, and respectful. We just disagreed. However, those that "attack Calvinism" are a different breed. Their agenda is not about the quest for truth. I have seen the same attitude in some Calvinists who do not miss any opportunity to attack those on the Arminian side. So, let me ask you this question. When you encounter a post where Calvinism is being attacked, how should you respond to it?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, I agree with your post except for this one part. In theology, there will always be differences of opinion as well as debate. The Internet has made debate more prevalent and reduced reaction time. When Luther debated Erasmus it was through snail mail. It took time to craft a response. Today all it takes is a few keystrokes. I am thankful for the good debates I have listened to. I have learned from them and sometimes changed my view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.