1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinism, God's Mercy

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Apr 12, 2012.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What I said was that John Piper lives a God centered life. His life is centered on Jesus Christ and bringing Him glory. If it takes a belief in TULIP for John to do this then glory be to God!

I personally do not need a belief in TULIP to live a God centered life and bring glory to Jesus Christ. I live a God centered life for no other reason than my admoration of the death, burial and ressurrection of Jesus Christ and because Jesus Christ saved a wretch like me and I am forever grateful!

John Piper may or may not misunderstand TULIP, however, I mark the man as one who lives out his faith in Jesus Christ to the max. Something that is more and more rare to find nowadays. I don't despise my Calvinist brothers in Christ. If they need TULIP to motivate them to living God centered, then as I said, to God be the glory!

On the other hand we have SBM, who gives Calvinism a dark side, even denying the brotherhood in Christ, simply because of a nonessential doctrine such as TULIP. I feel bad for him, we need to pray for him.

2. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't think that is accurate. The letters to the gentiles calls Christians "elect".

Welcome to the board! :wavey:

3. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We have a good many TULIP belivers here on the BB I think. I would like to ask them; Have you ever come accross one in your camp such as SBM? Who denies Christ in anyone who does not embrace the doctrine of TULIP?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And you will answer to God for that statement.

Matthew 12:36-37 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Romans 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
    Romans 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
    Romans 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Which one?

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;" (Col3:10)

7. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Are you sure? I have not found one instance of a Christian being called "elect" in any of the New Testament epistles.

8. Steadfast Fred

as the elect of God can mean comparison. Put on, just like the elect of God...

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;" (Col3:10)

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

One of the most well known passages is here:

1 Peter 1:1-2 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

11. Steadfast Fred

Colosse was in Asia, and there were Jews of the dispersion that were in Asia. Peter reveals that in his epistles.

Paul always went to the Jew first, and afterwards to the Gentiles. It is most probable that he was here writing to the Jews in Colosse.

12. Steadfast Fred

The Jews were indeed strangers in those Gentile lands.

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then you do not take these letters as written to you, unless you are a Jew. What scriptures can you use to sanctify your walk with Christ?

14. Steadfast Fred

Steaver, the epistles can be applicable to the Gentile believer's walk.

For instance, Paul's instruction to set affections on things above is advice that both Jew and Gentile alike would do well to do.

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond [nor] free: but Christ [is] all, and in all" (Col3:10)

The epistles are to CHristians, Saints, the Elect of God. There is no more Jew nor Greek, circumcised nor uncircumcised. Don't know where you picked up this strange doctrine.

16. Steadfast Fred

Someone emailed me a link to what I believe to be an excellent teaching on the elect of God some time back.

The address is douglashamp.com and the name of the article is "Why God Did Not Elect Calvinists".

In the article, he covers all the instances of "elect" and its derivatives.

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I simply shake my head once again. You would think after nearly 14 years of study and participation on these discussion boards I would have heard every strange doctrine there is. But then here come another one! Sorry brother, I know what I know. No one will convince me Christian Gentiles are not the elect of God.

Still, good to have you here! :wavey:

18. Steadfast Fred

How about reading the article before judging me to be wrong?

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

They weren't Jews. They were the elect of God, that is Christians from various backgrounds. Many of them may have had a Jewish background; some not. But that would not matter. Once converted to Christ, they are no more Jew. They are in Christ.

When a Muslim turns to Christ, he is no more a Muslim. He gives it up. He is now a Christian. So it is with a Jew. He leaves his Judaism and becomes a Christian. That is what the Apostle Paul did. That is what Peter and John did. They became Christians. They were no longer Jews. The epistles, all of them, were written to the elect, Christians.

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Brother, what would be the point in going out of my way to seperate Jew and Gentile when Paul declares they are one? So I can tell Calvinist they cannot be elect? What would believing in this do for my walk with CHrist?