1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinism, God's Mercy

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Apr 12, 2012.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let [him] go." (Acts 3:13)

2. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are splitting hairs just for the sake of arguing. Everyone knows they were written to specific believers at a specific time. And I thought everyone knew they were written for us just as though we were sitting in those churches at that time. I guess I learn something new just about everyday.

3. Moriah

Moriah New Member

You want us to believe that after Jesus rose from the dead and told Peter, “Take care of my sheep” that Jesus did not yet have any sheep. Lol

4. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Jesus came for the lost sheep of Israel first. There was a remnant.

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe Piper when he says he was saved years before embracing Calvinism, but for some reason he could not shake his self-centeredness until embracing Calvinism.

I understand what you are saying. But I have Calvinistic friends who are wonderful Christians, maybe they just don't push it like some. I also have good friends who think one can lose their salvation after being born of God. Even though they error in this they are stillvery God-centered and great Christians.

6. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Acts 15:23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:

Those Gentiles (Greeks) that believed on Christ did not cease to be Gentiles... as is evident in the above verse.

The Jews that believed did not cease to be Jews.
    I did not cease being an American when I trusted Christ.

Nor did I cease to be a male.

7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I see what you are saying, but again, if Piper were a true believer before learning of Calvinism, he would have been giving God the glory all along.

As for Calvinist friends who are great Christians…I just do not believe that they all really can be that great while not having the truth. Many Calvinists do not even understand about being baptized until understanding that it is a conscious move to obey God’s commands. Those raised in reformed religions have infant baptisms and believe it is their covenant with God. Sin is a real issue in a relationship with Jesus. Infant baptism and OSAS, those topics twist things up where sin is concerned. Just the fact that Calvinists tell people they are totally depraved and cannot do anything God wants them to do, not even the ability to believe, well that goes against God in such a devastating way. God says believe and obey. Calvinists say we cannot believe and obey. I would be horrified to teach that.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not splitting hairs. Do you blend fabrics? Have you cut your hair at the temple? Surely these were given to all christians, right? :)

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is a moot point. We don't need to talk about the past. We live in the present. What you are saying is akin to saying "God came to Adam and Eve first." And so he did. Adam and Eve existed long before Israel did. So what!
    What is important now is that ALL who will be saved, whether Jew or Gentile must go through Christ. A Jew, Muslim, Hindu are all unsaved and all must go through Christ to obtain salvation. A Jew is just as lost as a Muslim and a Hindu. They all need Christ.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think someone came up with this seperation of the elect doctrine just to fight the Calvinist. What value could it have for Christian living? Does anyone know who started this doctrine? This would probably shed light on the why?

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The scriptures were written to all Christians. Study to show thyself approved, rightly dividing the word of Truth.

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: What about the unsaved? Was there nothing for them in the Scriptures in question? I wonder if we should make a notion in the flyleaf of the multitude of Gideon Bibles distributed, so that if a lost person picks up a Gideon Bible, they will know it was not written to them? :confused:

13. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Why do you think that saying Christians are not the elect fights Calvinism? I am not a Calvinist, and I know God elects Gentiles.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Its called applying proper hermeneutic. I believe pride seeps in where we want to be the elect, the same pride found in replacement theology. How dare those Jews still hold a special place in Gods plans!

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nice deflection, care to answer?

16. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Nothing about the truth is moot. In addition, false doctrines come from such thinking.

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't think anyone believes God did not expect the scriptures to save the lost. A lost person can find salvation through Christ by reading the scriptures. I don't think we meant to leave this aspect of the power of the Word out. It just wasn't the focus at the moment.

18. Moriah

Moriah New Member

What do you call replacement theology? Do you believe that the Jews have to accept Jesus before they are saved?

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

False doctrines come from not rightly dividing the word of truth.
    There are three groups of people today:
    1. Lost Jews.
    2. Lost Gentiles.
    3. The Church of God, or Christians.

That is what Paul says in 1Cor.10.
    Why argue with Scripture?

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not a deflection, it is the answer. The epistles are written to all Christians, now study and divide which parts apply to today and which parts don't.